'Resign!' 2 GOP senators should lose jobs for coronavirus stock jump, say critics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/20/resign-2-gop-senators-sho.html

8 Likes

19 Likes

I’m sure the Senate Ethics Committee will get to the bottom of this.

30 Likes

Heh. Good one.

27 Likes

They’ll have to wait for the Southern District of NY first.

3 Likes

I’m actually fantasizing about the possibility that if they resign, the Dems have a shot at the Senate.

9 Likes

Yeah, that would be nice, but McConnell will protect them in order to protect his Senate majority.

6 Likes

McConnell can protect them from the Senate, not from the SEC or US attorneys.

9 Likes

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

8 Likes

Would seem fair to also extend death penalty to folks accused of murder and rape perhaps.

Right?

1 Like

Her too.
The Democrats, at least the establishment dems, aren’t the “good guys,” they’re controlled opposition.
Just as corrupt, but they have a facade of progressiveness because they advocate for crumbs, means tested, of course, as opposed to the GOP’s officially unofficial party position of “fuck you, I got mine.”

12 Likes

It’s called “insider trading” and it’s a prison-able offense. TGOP will no doubt find that in this instance that the scumbags that did this were just doing their job to fuck over the USA…

7 Likes

It’s still freaking ridiculous that Fox News is framing this as a “Feinstein & Friends” scandal when Burr is the freaking Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Community and was publicly downplaying the threat at the same time he was selling off his stocks.

22 Likes

Agreed. Or Xeni’s “2 GOP senators” on the flip side of same coin.

Though I also agree Burr comes off by far the worst here, going by the job he had and what he committed to record.

5 Likes

Xeni’s headline is an accurate summary of the linked article, which reports that two GOP Senators are currently facing calls to resign:

Media reports about Burr and Loeffler, who have denied wrongdoing, prompted calls for them to leave office if they were found to have broken the law from people as disparate as a progressive Democratic lawmaker and a conservative commentator.

They doubtlessly won’t be the last two Senators to face widespread demands for their resignation in light of this scandal, but they were the first.

10 Likes

only her stocks were in a blind trust, the trust sold them, and reporting has been it was a single cancer biotech firm.

assuming that analysis holds, her situation is completely different from what the gop senators have done

30 Likes

I feel filthy embedding a Fox New clip below, but if that analysis holds, are their situations still completely different? I don’t expect the other side to consider such nuance, but fellow mutants I think to be smarter than confirmation-bias zombies.

Thing is, Feinstein’s trust reportedly sold under-performing shares at a loss (before they went back up even) which makes any denial from her a lot more believable than Loeffler’s denial of involvement in her suspiciously fortuitous trades… of course any denial from Burr would be downright laughable; it would not be implausible for him to be the source of Loeffler’s financial advisors inside info given his reported dinner.

13 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t read that deep!

What I read of Loeffler’s (…advisors’) trades seemed very situation-shrewd. But by end of January, finance types knew what their Hong Kong colleagues were facing, and started making contingency plans themselves. It was all over Asian headlines too. So I can see how an advisor worth their fee would do those trades. Shrewd, but not incredible. And there’s an emphatic, falsifiable denial on public record now.

Yeah. Not funny-laugh either.

1 Like

Being a Republican means never having to say you’re sorry.

10 Likes