Amazon Fire tablet on sale for $40

While I’ve always been a big fan of Cyanogenmod, the Fire contains unique versions of some of the Amazon apps (for books, magazines, etc.) that are superior to the standard Android versions. While others may make a different decision, my preference is not to lose these apps, so I’m staying on Fire OS.

They are supposed to be really easy to get stock android on. The first thing I did with mine was get the Play Store on there and install all my usual apps. That was stupid easy as well, you can download a little utility that does so automatically. Getting rid of the ads without going stock is less often successful. Eventually I’ll probably install stock android and use it for something more interesting than reading in bed. Its a durable, basic little thing. Probably ideal to leave out for spooling media to the chrome cast. Or leave in the kitchen for cooking purposes.

Absolutely. Its nothing special. But I paid $35 bucks for mine. At that price I can use it for any idiocy I want and never regret it.

The screen might be a little small for that. But I’ve read a few and its not terrible.

Right if you’re not then most of the benefits of the Fire OS are not benefits. While its stupid easy to get the Playstore on there and get whatever services you are bought into on there, its at that point just a cheap basic tablet. So its these sales that make them worth picking up.

1 Like

The current Fire OS 5.3.2.1 appears to be unrootable and undowngradable - attempts to do either will brick the device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/fireos-5-3-2-1-rollbacks-t3517920

So be advised if you’re considering ordering one of these.

THAT’D BE IMPORTANT.

But in the grand scheme of these things people tend to work it out eventually. When ever I look into this sort of thing the latest version of anything is unbreakable and you will brick your device. Slightly older and you can get x y z done but not take it all the way. And a few generations back its a free for all.

Ha that’s awesome. I found something similar on Instagram. Keep clicking the “I find this ad offensive” button and eventually there’s no more ads delivered.

Depends on how the algorithm is set up, it may just continue to serve fresh new ads ad nauseum. Trust me i tried this on Hulu back when you couldn’t just pay extra to do away with the obnoxious ads. Also have tried this on Facebook and Youtube without much success.

If you’re talking about Instagram, it simply stops sending ads. Dunno about the tablet ads though (or Hulu etc).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.