Amazon gets FAA approval for drone delivery trials

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/31/amazon-gets-faa-approval-for-d.html

Presumably Amazon drone taxis are next.

1 Like

ezgif.com-optimize

2 Likes

Coincidence?

1 Like

How long until Hackaday has an article on “re-purposing” captured abandoned Amazon drones?

Sounds like the black helicopters have come for us. Oh, just another swarm of FAA-approved Amazon delivery drones

Amazon has won approval to deliver packages by drone across the United States, meaning that customers could soon receive lightweight orders within 30 minutes but at a cost: drone delivery bots soaring overhead.

On Monday, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) gave the e-commerce giant the right to carry property on drones “beyond the visual line of sight” of the operator, meaning that it is able to deliver packages under five pounds in weight to anywhere it offers the service.

This is one of those ideas that everyone talks about as though it’s imminent (coughdriverless carscough) but seems very far away to me. Just looking at the power lines, trees, roof overhangs, utility trucks, etc in my vicinity, there’s no fucking hope of a drone navigating that. If the service is “drop a package in an open field of 5 acres or greater” then you have my attention.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.