Amazon is full of Chinese counterfeits and they're driving out legit goods

Say what one likes about quality, but I’m trying to think of a single time when the majority of consumers prized quality over price. Or reliability over price. Or customer service over price. Or…

I suspect that if Amazon doesn’t go down this route, people will be complaining about how Amazon is ripping them off by trying to make them pay more than Alibaba.

So you’ve never heard of Apple, or the iPhone?

5 Likes

That’s why I used “majority” (although I’ll admit they’re about as close to a counter-example as I could come up with). Apple has been very successful, but their sales have almost always been a fraction of what the mainstream consumer market was buying.

And the rage against Apple for actually charging the prices they do is fairly palpable in almost any online forum.

My PowerBook G4 lasted twelve years and never waned in usefulness, even after OS development became Intel-only. I had a friend who went through three PC laptops during this same amount of time.

Apple may yet go downhill in terms of software design but I’ve always found their hardware very durable.

2 Likes

YMMV I recently had a problem with a 3rd party seller overcharging me hundreds of dollars on shipping and Amazon was far from helpful in getting the matter resolved.

2 Likes

That seems odd, how did you get surprise shipping costs going through their payments system?

I am at least partly at fault there due to small fonts, middle aged eyes and making an assumption. I had ordered quantity 10 of a small item and while I’d checked the sellers shipping price per shipment, I

1. Didn’t see that I was being charged 10x shipping due to reasons above
  2. Assumed that 10 small items would go in one box.

In fact I did receive one box and the way bill matched the sellers per shipment price but was still charged 10x for shipping. Repeated attempts to contact the merchant went nowhere as did repeated attempts to resolve the problem with Amazon.

I ordered a Shoupie but got a Shipoopi!

6 Likes

Sounds like Amazon’s about to roll out drop-authentication© then. Genuine First Nations white buffalo hides (unique means what, now?) and Gigabyte motherboards to have mass greater than 2 polyester throws stuck together and 1kg, respectively…Xrays from a given angle fed to AR or neural nets, python stdout from the Pebble, flash block 32GB+7 pattern check, microcode phun, person who can see the love put into making an object, all that. Much nicer counterfeits that way.

Plus sidebars in case Apple send you a MacBook Pro that’s totes amped. Fixed that for you, the extra connectors are 10GBaseT, HDMI 1.4, 5 mixed InfiniBand and 5 SpriteWire, just deal with it… Heard your friends were all super-hearing so here’s a set of beta 7.3 WiMax headphones (soon available as Beats) that work with it. Threw in a 7-color ThreatButt sticker and a Roper v. Git dunny Tim made in case that’s still your thing.

5 Likes

Well, thank heavens for smell claims court. Or whatever it is that acts like that in the PRC next week.

1 Like

Except this vendor is in the us and I’m in Japan

You got a fire truck?! I’ve been paying taxes my entire working life and never even gotten so much as a hand truck.

6 Likes

Interesting article. I review on Amazon & get a lot of offers of free stuff. I tend not to get items that are pretending to be a brand name, but I do get items of varying quality made in China.

I’m always honest about poor items. I’ve given 1, 2 and 3 star reviews many times.
This doesn’t stop the free stuff from coming at all. A few sellers have asked me to change reviews; I’ve refused.

I only ask for stuff I think I will like that I will use myself. So a lot of my reviews are four or five stars; not everything I receive is poor quality.
A lot of reviewers automatically giving five stars to an item have had their reviewing rights revoked by Amazon.
There are threads about this on the Amazon forums.
I live in the UK but I have also posted reviews on Amazon USA.

Aw, that’s crap to hear. I tend to assume that shipping would never avoid stacking unless i can explicitly message the shop owner and verify :confused:

I know plenty of places you can volunteer!

Stick around. They will continue to evade and sidestep your expectations. The expectations you have of non-mutants, that is.

So twentieth century!

1 Like

Terrif! Sounds like marketing is right up your alley!

I wonder if Otterbox pulled their products from Amazon, would the Outerboxes quickly be turned off? Etc.

Doubtful, it’d have to be a stronger brand and a specific unauthorized product for them to care. Sports jerseys, fake luxury goods, etc.