America divided into states with the population of England

Since a lot of the visual appeal is the relative size/population density, you should add ‘England’ to the map the say way alaska and hawaii get treated.

4 Likes

Nothing like that wind off the lake in winter.

2 Likes
1 Like

???

The title has been claimed for both Vancouver, British Columbia, and Toronto, Ontario.

1 Like

Did you give David Duchovny an evil glare when he spread his New York Times across two tables at your breakfast place, one of them the only remaining unoccupied spot where you could be seated?

Did you perambulate down your nearest thoroughfare in the mid 1990s to find it turned into 1970s Oakland with black-and-white cop cars parked on the street?

Did you appear behind Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco in a “21 Jump Street” episode?

Were you shoved aside as you traipsed into your school’s computer lab by people running and, confused, you turned around and saw cameras and lighting equipment?

(B.C. even more resembles in shape California than Ontario does. Give Vancouver equal time! Jackie Chan used it for “Rumble in the Bronx”, and the opening shot of the North Vancouver mountains passing for New York convinced me it was for the Hong Kong market.)

10 Likes

After eating at an Ethiopian place on a whim (big thumbs up for Taste of Ethiopia in Pfluegerville TX) I googled it to see more about the country. Very surprised to see it’s the 13th in population rank – more than any single country in Europe.

3 Likes

Two minor points:

You colored Pacifically red… Not funny - LOL

I would rename The Land of Wind and Sweat to Flyoveristan. (Although I would gladly trade the pan handle of Idaho for half of Nevada…

2 Likes

Of course not.

I’ve never lived in Toronto :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Anyone drawing a map like this needs to split PA in half. Allentown is a suburb of New York, and Philly has as much to do with Altoona as it has with Philadelphia, MS.

3 Likes

Really we need England next to the map for scale.

1 Like

By moving down the peninsula a little before you start cutting…

7 Likes

2 Likes

JFC did he lock the map in the safe, again?

6 Likes

America divided into states with the population of the USA.

Think about it …

5 Likes

A comparison I’ve used before:

Great Britain is small but populous. Take the populations of California, Florida and New York and squeeze them all into Wyoming. That’s what the UK in like.

7 Likes

USA <=> Australia would be interesting. More compatible physical sizes, the same ‘extreme rural’ thing going on (was brought up on The Flying Doctors during the long school summer holidays), though less populous.

3 Likes

Well that part of my brain has clearly either distorted or outright threw away the theme tune at some point.

I believe you’re a little too far too the East on that designation. You can’t throw a rock around here without it landing on a set and somebody screaming that you screwed up their shot.

1 Like

I found it was blending with Beachcombers (which, to be clear, is Canadian) in my memory.
Both exotic, wide open spaces, low production values…

[Boy, did Tyne-Tees, and Yorkshire television (regional ITV) both know how to put together an action-packed afternoon.]

2 Likes

China.divided into states with the population of America

3 Likes