American cities, ranked by conservatism

I recall that the quiz was written by a Libertarian.

2 Likes

I find it troubling that so few people I have talked with understand that this is all about tradition. What the hell are you conserving? Or being liberated from? And the elephant in the room is how would anybody agree about such traditions in a large multicultural place like the US? The lack of traditional cohesion coupled with ignorance makes the whole dichotomy of liberal/conservative completely false. There are millions of traditions.

Many people rage that I feel the only true US conservatism in indigenous, the traditions of Native American culture which have thousands of years of history here. Rather than the revisionism of Americans (sic) who are really Europeans who based their laws upon misunderstandings of their middle-eastern religion.

My approach is based upon Agorism and Syndicalism, and is functionally based, rather than focusing upon the traditions of any group of people. I’d rather make the coercions of centralized nation-states impossible to maintain, and let people create and destroy their own mini-governments for what they need to do.

1 Like

according to Corey Robin, comservatism is sort of a militant traditionalism, with a revanchist spirit. Just as progressives and liberals and radicals derive some emotional satisfaction from “fighting the good fight”, so too do others with less liberatory intentions. Apparently, it all goes back to Joseph de Maistre.

I still say that there is something about a vote that suggests a dichotomy. You can pretend otherwise, but the arithmetic will get you every time.

That is because our current method of passing legislation comes down to a yes/no question. Do our representatives vote Yes for the the proposition, or No against the proposition.

Why must it be this way?

What if legislation consisted of an identified problem and several (not necessarily mutually exclusive) solutions? Our representatives could then vote for the solutions they actually supported, rather than against the one solution they most hoped to avoid.

I think you’re spot on with this!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.