American dialects mapped

Is it like this?

gee, Earl, thatā€™s a pretty sophisticated webpage youā€™ve got there. it says Iā€™m from where I currently live in Atlanta no matter how I fill out the form.

4 Likes

more-

Draw, drown- Iā€™m careful to pronounce a clean D and R sound, while most people simply pronounce it as a J, like jraw or jrown.

A couple very smart people have told me that the people in Norfolk pronounce it NARfauk, while I (never having been there) havenā€™t heard it pronounced any other way than NOR-folk.

Iā€™ve heard bubbler around Ann Arbor plenty of times.

Iā€™m from Springfield, MA,and some people call soda ā€œsodeRā€ vs ā€œsodAā€

1 Like

canuck here. we use kitty-corner all the time.

a great term for giving directions.

They have grinders in the Boston area as well.

Grinders are from Greek pizza places and Subs are from Italian.

1 Like

In St, Louis, tin (the metal) and ten (the number) are pronounced equally as TIN. This drives math teachers nuts!

Having actually spent my formative years there, I have actually had this conversation in Arkansas:

Me: Iā€™ll have a coke.
Waitress: What kind of coke do you want?
Me: Iā€™ll have a coke coke.

Yā€™all need to use those extra Rs somewhereā€¦

Donā€™tcha mean Bubblah?
I see a big bubble of bubbler usage around MA in the map included with this article.
Apparently it is also common in Portland, OR and Australia.
The Real Reason Why We Call it a ā€˜Bubblerā€™ in Wisconsin

Probably a bit of thatā€¦
My maternal grandmother was from a French Canadian family and I think that my Fatherā€™s parents spent some time living in Canada as well ā€“ probably some vestigial French-Canadian-Swedish lilt.

The reason for the bubbler bubble around Portland is the Benson Bubblers, the first of which were bought with a gift from Simon Benson in 1912: Benson Bubblers
I donā€™t hear people saying ā€œbubblerā€ for a drinking fountain with a button or lever.

Does anyone actually answer ā€œPepsi Cokeā€ to that? Because that would be awesome.

They just answer ā€œNo Coke. Pepsiā€
Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!

No on in the south drinks Pepsi, thatā€™s dirty hippy city folk coke. :wink:

2 Likes

In the map for ā€œWhat do you call a traffic situation ā€¦ā€ I like the fact that New England is pretty much completely green. There are two valid answers in New England ā€“ either ā€œrotaryā€ or any form of profanity.

2 Likes

In SW PA, grandfathers are pap or gram/grand pap. Soda is pop. Sandwiches are hoagies. I always thought it was said caddy-corner. Huh. Some (usually older) people have a hillbilly drawl and say room, broom, etc differently. They also say the president lives in Worshington. We also push buggeys at the grocery store where we neb into the neighborā€™s business.

Very east coast, limited to mainly twenty miles in from the Atlantic. I live in Western Ma. and have never heard it used by anyone other than my Boston relatives.

I just used whatever my parents told me to use, so my English speaking maternal grandparents are gramma/papa and my Chinese paternal grandparents were mama/yaya. My husbandā€™s Texan-native family goes with mee-maw/papa.

Maybe its because my siblings and I donā€™t speak Chinese, but contrary to the posted video we never called any of our Asian relatives (excluding grandparents) anything but auntie/uncle. I can barely tell you how any of those people are actually related to me as a result.