Each state's most disproportionately popular cuisine

[Permalink]

1 Like

ok, i’ll do it - delaware =/= maryland

[edit] ahh, that’s better

2 Likes

Notice the curious lack of British cuisine.

10 Likes

What a delicious country we live in. Except those freaks in Colorado.

4 Likes

How surprising that the Southern states like Southern food and New Yorkers eat the most kosher.

3 Likes

Hells yeah, VTers and IDans know their food!

(There’s only a few self-titled “gastropubs” in Vermont, but the category stands in well as shorthand for “small business owned restaurants that sell locally-sourced foods and have at least 4 or 5 VT beers on tap.”)

I’m so, so, so sorry, MN/IA.

3 Likes

What is traditional American cuisine?

2 Likes

Hotdogs? Soup?

Real nice, keep up the great work.

4 Likes

The fact that the majority of Michigan’s population lives in the Detroit metro might be skewing results here. You might be somewhat hard pressed to find good falafel in the UP.

1 Like

Gluten-Free is not a cuisine. It is a diagnosis.

And I have never had Taiwanese food. I don’t know that I have ever seen a Taiwanese restaurant.

10 Likes

Find a copy of the Betty Crocker cookbook c. 1955. Within this tome you will find a collection of dishes that one might describe as “traditional American” in the same way the term is being utilized for the purposes of this map. It definitely contains the types of dishes that one is likely to find on the menu at one of Wisconsin’s numerous <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper_club"target=”_blank">supper clubs.

4 Likes

I’d guess it’s a capitalist version of continental Chinese cuisine.

4 Likes

The results for Alaska surprise me. I would have guessed Thai at number 1 since I can name a half dozen excellent Thai restaurants around the state, but don’t know of any Filipino ones. My guess that fish and chips are at number 2 is because of all the dockside shacks that sell to tourists in the summer. I don’t think anyone has ever recommended a place to me because of their fish and chips.

2 Likes

Well there certainly ARE a bunch of Peruvian chicken places in the suburbs of DC…And I’m guessing that one or two Belgian restaurants in DC are enough to be “most disproportionate”

1 Like

Speaking as a Tennessean, what the hell is “Southern”? I guess it’s deep fried meat & three, but there are regional variations.

1 Like

Utah really surprised me.

I think you may be failing to appreciate the simple glory of soup. Great, now I’m probably going to have soup for dinner.

1 Like

These state-by-state maps are ridiculous. ALL of California loves Taiwanese? ALL of New York loves kosher? Is all food served south of the Mason-Dixon refereed to as “Southern?” Is Mexico’s favorite food Mexican?

Silly.

How about county by county?

Remember this is not the most popular cuisine in Utah. It’s the most disproportionately popular cuisine among Utah Yelp users. It’s a safe bet the sample size is rather small.

2 Likes

They charge per noodle?

1 Like