Each state's most disproportionately popular cuisine

Cuban in Florida shouldn’t be much of a surprise either. (God, I miss Cuban food. And Publix…)

2 Likes

When you search Yelp Chicago for Pakistani Restaurants, virtually all of the ones that show up aren’t Pakistani but rather Indian, Sri Lankan, or Nepalese. Just saying.

1 Like

I’m seeing them as “Indian-Pakistani”. Which makes me wonder who tags the restaurants as being part of a particular cuisine.

Seriously…Gluten Free is the most popular in a heavily cow-centric state? I’ve lived here my whole life and can’t name a single “gluten free” restaurant. Did they only sample people from Boulder or something?

Although, there was a news report last night about gluten free beer that I’ll have to look into…

1 Like

Pasties FTW!!!

3 Likes

Or French, Italian, Spanish, Greek …

Breakfast/brunch, gastropubs, and food stands aren’t cuisines either.

I thought it would be either Pho or Teriyaki in WA. I am unsurprised it was Pho. Which I haven’t had in a very long time. I still believe Washington has the best Teriyaki in the US.

Maybe they mean Hawaiian pizza?

2 Likes

Its pretty silly, and pretty damn confusing. I guess its based on Yelp searches, and from the linked article it looks like they used the percentage increase over the national average for the those searched categories. So they’re aren’t even necessarily showing that a particular food type is more popular than others. Just that the more tech savvy residents of the most populated areas of a given state are more likely to search for a given type of food than the entire country as a whole.

In other words they massaged the data till it roughly fit a link baity headline but otherwise made it totally meaningless. NY’s high proportional interest in kosher could mean just about anything. Maybe we eat more Kosher food in NY. Maybe its just harder to find decent kosher food in NY than it is to find decent Pizza, forcing people to search for it on Yelp when they might not for another food. Maybe because Kosher’s a bit of a thing in NYC lots, and lots, and lots of restaurants from otherwise unrelated food styles that technically qualify as kosher have been labeled with that tag regardless of whether they’re Jewish food or fit the religious requirements for the most stringent definition of kosher. Shit there’s a Glatt Kosher Indian restaurant near where I catch the commuter bus.

What it definitely doesn’t say is that NY State as a whole eats more traditional Jewish formally Kosher food than any other single part of the country. Or that NY State as a whole eats more tradition Jewish formally Kosher food than it does any other category of food. Which seems to be what they’re trying to say.

2 Likes

Ha, this makes me nostalgic for Wisconsin.

“Hey, what kind of food do you like to eat up there in Wisconsin?”
“American!”
“No, but I mean, what special kind of food do you like more than most places? Like, what food in your state is unusually popular?”
“…American!”

3 Likes

is Buffet a cuisine? It’s like saying your favorite cuisine is “on a plate”.

7 Likes

d’oh! fixed!

I would guess that in this context, “Traditional American” = “fish fry.”
Tasty, tasty fish fry.

2 Likes

… Taiwanese? Well, since I guess since Chinese advertised specifically as Taiwanese is so rare there’s a small baseline to start from.

2 Likes

Oh goody, more less-than-useful information from Yelp!

This might come as a shock to you people who think PF Changs and Panda Express are the only examples of Chinese food, but believe it or not, a country larger than the US and with a population of 1.5 billion does have regional variety in its cuisine. Feast your eyes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_cuisine …and understand there is an enormous amount of variety in “Chinese” cuisine, from Beijing dumplings to Hunan stir-fry to Sichuan hot pot to Kunming halal, and on and on…

3 Likes

It was Hawaii that knocked me for a loop.

2 Likes

That Wikipedia article brought back many pleasant memories, thanks.

1 Like

you don’t really see these outside the region, in my experience:

• collards
  • okra
  • country ham and red-eye gravy
  • grits
  • biscuits worth a damn

I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch. but yeah, in effect we’re probably talking about a meat-and-three. I’d say fried chicken belongs to “southern” even though everyone does it now.

2 Likes