Each state's most disproportionately popular cuisine

Yelp users. So… probably?

1 Like

falafel pasty maybe.

2 Likes

Hawaii has the best teriyaki in the U.S.

Me too. I’ve spent a total of almost a year’s worth of time in Washington, and never ate Vietnamese. I did eat a lot of Teriyaki. They seemed to be obsessed with that stuff.

As a Coloradan, I can say with confidence that we don’t have a disproportionately huge number of people with wheat allergies or celiac disease- just a lot of very gullible new-agers who will jump on any diet trend that comes along and cling to it until death.

1 Like

Also, I love the fact that “soup” is considered “cuisine”. I mean, I can sort of understand pizza (you could say “Italian”, but then, there’s so much more to Italian food that it would be pointless) and hotdogs, but soup… soup can be so many different things.

Isn’t “British cuisine” an oxymoron?

5 Likes

I always felt that “cuisine” should be reserved for French cooking. Maybe there could be Mexican Comida, British Penance, and American Eats.

2 Likes

Teriyaki is so good because it’s mixing syrup, meat and starch. It’s like eating candy but you can try to pretend it’s healthier. Plus it’s very standardized. You get your meat, on a bed of rice, with a small side salad every time. You know what you’re getting, and it’s hard to mess up, and it’s very fast but isn’t stamped out factory food like BK or McDonalds or whatever. It actually tastes like food.

Most Teriyaki places also do Yakisoba, which I get most of the time is basically veggie stir fry with thick noodles. It doesn’t actually use buckwheat soba noodles.

Re: Pho, the reason I haven’t eaten at a Pho place in so long is because the local places where I live seem to think a banh mi sandwich is supposed to be soggy, like some kind of crumbling multi-layered au jus.

1 Like

I’ve heard that before. I haven’t been to Hawaii to try the teriyaki there, but I’m pretty sure it’s really heavy on the pineapple, and I’ve got an irrational aversion to that… fruit? It’s just always been one of those foods I’ve hated since childhood.

So I don’t doubt Hawaiian teriyaki is stellar, but not my speed.

And Oregon is the only one that really likes food carts.

Well, that explains that. The rest of the state has never seen one.

Don’t remind me. I live in the middle of “gluten-free” zone, and I MISS good Cuban food. I would love to be able to get a media noche, ham croquette, and a bottle of Malta. Try finding that in Colorado (I grew up in south Florida).

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ll buy it…

The guy at the pho/banh mi restaurant down the street recognizes my voice when I call for takeout…

2 Likes

So did the British. That’s why they all eat curry now.

10 Likes

Mormons. Specifically, Polynesian Mormons.

The Mormons recruit in Polynesia like crazy, because of Joseph Smith’s theory that they were one of the lost tribes of Israel. Mormonism is pretty damn popular there, not least because they’re offering people in developing countries this hope of living an American lifestyle. So there’s a fair number of native Hawaiian Mormons and also Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, etc. Mormons now living in Utah, and I’m not surprised they want Hawaiian food.

I’m just surprised it’s not #1 in Nevada as so many local people have moved there from Hawaii.

4 Likes

aw man, Montana is all like, “what food can I eat to sustain myself so I can drive through and survive Montana.” Apologies to Montana. Just calling it like I sees it.

2 Likes

I believe the purpose of the British Empire was to go out and find something decent to eat…

15 Likes

I wondered at that, add well.

However, I spent my HS summers in Iowa, and most of our lunches were at “Bishop’s Buffet.”

Too bad steamed cheeseburgers didn’t make the list for Connecticut. And thank God that “Old Forge style” pizza doesn’t make the list for Pennsylvania; I’m not even going to link to that abomination.

Berlusconi (former pime minister of Italia) once made fun of our Finnish cuisine, pretty much saying it was crap. So a Finnish pizza chain created a pizza called Berlusconi (it has reindeer and onion, I think), and the pizza was lauded in some competetition as the “best pizza in there world”.

So fuck you, Berlusconi, we win this round!

8 Likes