Here’s a chart of hot dogs around the world

[Read the post]

1 Like

Can someone tell me where the cities “Potato Dog” and “Bagel Dog” are? Having some difficulty finding them on Google Maps.

4 Likes

My guess is that Potato Dog is somewhere in Idaho and Bagel Dog must be somewhere between Brooklyn and Queens.

Strongly disagree with Cleveland. If it doesn’t involve Stadium/Ballpark mustard then it’s a view from outside the city.

2 Likes

Interesting chart - certainly gives me some ideas on variations on the standard dog I usually eat, which is a typical NY style. I’m also interested in trying some variants on the sausage used - last week I had a “snappy griller” aka “white hot” in upstate New York and it was delicious. Now I just need to figure out where they sell them in the city…

Tangent; I was at the Bronx Zoo the other day and had a hot dog, but they did not offer sauerkraut. It should be illegal within the five boroughs to serve a hotdog without sauerkraut as an option. I’m going to have to talk to someone at City Hall about this…

5 Likes

What about the bright red hot dogs of northern New England?

2 Likes

So wait. . . they don’t serve chili dogs in Chile?

3 Likes
  1. The Carolina style is also prevalent in West Virginia.
  2. Wot, no DC style half smokes? Alert Ben.
4 Likes

How did we miss New England-style split top buns in this mix?

3 Likes

The Czech style is also how they were served in Budapest in them early-mid 90s. Presumably still they same today.

I did find the placenames-jarringly-switch-to-unplaced-identifiers switch to be jarring.

1 Like

last time i visited.

they also seem to love corn on pizza

1 Like

Total fail to miss the currywurst from Berlin. A mighty delicious variation with nothing else on that chart similar.

5 Likes

Why do they never have brown mustard? At least at the golf courses where I might buy a dog.

1 Like

The only buns worth ever mentioning. now, if they came poppy seed style I’d be the happiest!

Also missing is the NJ fried hot dog, or Ripper, as it is known locally.

1 Like

Germany seems weird. Of course you can get this dish, but I’ve never seen in called a hot dog. In some odd region maybe?

Here in Austria we also use the Czech style, and it’s delicious. Also they give you all kinds of sausages in it, not just Frankfurter/Wiener.

While I’ll give them credit for mentioning it at all instead of just pretending like sauerkraut some how only exists in New York, its not onion sauce. Its onions IN sauce. Its magical stuff, and it barely gets mentioned when people bring up NY hot dogs. Which is weird because it really is the most unique, and most strongly regional thing about NYC region hot dogs. Kraut exists almost wherever hot dogs do. And if there’s a German population in place then they traditionally put kraut on a dog. They do it Texas, they do it in Philly, They do in the Carolinas. But onions in sauce, not going to find that anywhere else.

I’ll also be pedantic about the fact that they’re labeling non hot dog sausages as hotdogs to fill out the list. A hotdog is not just any kind of sausage on a bun, its a specific kind of sausage. If its a bratwurst, kielbasa, or chorizo on there its not a hot dog. Its a bratwurst kielbasa or chorizo.

The potato dog they list seems to be a mislabeled and poorly described Italian hot dog, which are usually made with deep fried hot dogs, of which the ripper is only a variant. So I guess you could say its technically in there. I’m starting to suspect the authors of this chart have never had a hot dog.

1 Like

I’m impressed by the exhaustiveness of this list - the only one they missed, from my perspective, is the Arabian Gulf style, where they cut up the (all beef) hot dog into bite-sized chunks, stick it in a mini-baguette along with french fries, smear in a little baba ganoush and maybe some chili sauce.

I had this almost every day when I was a schoolteacher in Sudan, and it was frankly marvelous.

Budapest taught me the only barrier to placing a topping on pizza is structural integrity and our preconceived notions.

4 Likes

also that those bread stick ain’t free

1 Like