Ketchup dispensers installed outside restaurants that refuse to serve it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/29/ketchup-dispensers-installed-outside-restaurants-that-refuse-to-serve-it.html

10 Likes

Oh No Reaction GIF by CBS

21 Likes

I assume the company is taking responsibility for the inevitable mess that a bunch of discarded partially-used ketchup packets will create in the street?

My kids eat ketchup on hot dogs because they take after their mom. Possibly the most heated disagreement we’ve ever had about child-rearing.

18 Likes

Ketchup on hot dogs? Whyyyyy.

Also, here’s the correct choice for fries

13 Likes

In Chicago, it’s even a tradition to tease people who enjoy ketchup on their hot dogs.

It isn’t a tradition. Its no different than telling someone their hair is on fire, or they’re about to be hit by a bus. It’s a mark of selflessness. Chicagoans should be commended for averting senseless tragedies.

18 Likes

The term “dog sauce” does not make me think of ketchup. More like steam cleaner.

6 Likes

What ketchup really tastes great on is… nope, I got nothin’.

9 Likes

I finally tried a Chicago style hot dog, intact, uncustomized, to give it a fair shake and see what all the fuss is about. It was… edible? The flavors are just an overwhelming mishmash that mostly cancel each other out and completely mask the presence of any actual hot dog under it all. It wasn’t bad, exactly, but I have no idea why it’s held in such high regard, or how this complex insanity on a bun ended up enduring so long after its invention.

Doesn’t mean Chicagoans are wrong about the ketchup thing, though.

9 Likes

A cheeseburger or a cheesesteak.

Thats It Hilary Duff GIF by YoungerTV

4 Likes

I hope you had an unnaturally vibrant neon-green relish on it?

Mmmm, that’s the good stuff

15 Likes

I’m in Colorado, but got it from a local place that was founded by a Chicago native and specializes in Chicago style dogs, so about as authentic as can be expected, glowing nuclear relish and all!

10 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

10 Likes

French fries (for me).

6 Likes

Scrambled eggs, kimchi ramyum & meatloaf

7 Likes

It is okay on a Bacon or Chip Butty; but, even then, Brown Sauce is my preferred accompaniment.

3 Likes

Ketchup and mayo on hot dogs.

Or a Detroit Detroit Coney dog (also no ketchup).

2 Likes

Chicago can keep their hot dogs.
Personally, I’ve never liked mustard. It overwhelms the flavor of anything it’s used on.
Come to think of it, there is not one topping on a Chicago dog that I will touch.

Ketchup or chili to top my dogs, thank you.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why it’s the ideal condiment for tube meats.

12 Likes

Bacon sandwiches

2 Likes

Tomato sauce for bacon sarnies, brown sauce for sausage ones. Chip butties should just be salt & vinegar and too much butter IMO.

3 Likes