Here’s a chart of hot dogs around the world

Fun, and nicely illustrated.

But I can tell firsthand the “Brazil” dog bears no resemblance to any of the many weird varieties I’ve seen around here. Carrots? Cilantro? Pico de gallo? Dog please. We don’t even know what that is.

2 Likes

The Tijuana and Sonora dog must be some sort of American interpretation of the real thing, Tijuana hot dogs do not have grilled sliced peppers on them or jalapeños, (Though it must be said, either grilled jalapenos or caribe chilies are certainly available, but they’re not a topping) but they missed the key ingredient, hot sauce.

The Sonora dog is way off, the people in Sonora are crazy, they put mushrooms, crushed Ruffles potato chips and black olives on their dogs, and I’ve never seen anything other than a hot dog bun used there.

Next up: Tacos of Latin America :smile:

3 Likes

This list is missing “the Madrid,” “the Barcelona” and “the Brussels” – which would naturally have a little local variety to tie down. But the Jersey Ripper and Atlanta Slaw are well established hot dog varieties that shouldn’t have been overlooked.

And to add on the “Tijuana dog” — as pictured this is the “Tijuana-style Dog” or better known as “the San Diego”. In Tijuana it would not be prepared this way. It would be served as noted in the thread already—and furthermore in a torta bread.

Also another off-the-beaten-path “hot dog” would be “the Naples” where there is widespread pizza style in the city where they put on sliced hot dogs together with the marinara sauce, french fries, and top with some cheese.

1 Like

Where? Because I’d try that.

Many TJ street vendors make tortas with bolillo rolls (a lean dough, crustier and firmer than most American-style hot dog rolls—a kind of cross between “french bread” and “hard rolls”). You can get a rolled-bacon hot dog on them with fixins like avocado, crema agría, cotija, whole fried hot pepper, radish, etc.

Dude, that’s my hometown. I’ve never seen a hot-dog on a birote. But I’d certainly try it.

Since you’re calling a bolillo a birote, you can easily find bacon dogs on them in Sonora. In TJ I got one on a bolillo when there in '09. You’re probably more expert if that is not so common, though.

That sir, is a whole 'nother topic. A heated debate to be sure. I’d rather talk about religion in politics than that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.