Breakfast: rating dishes from around the world

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/30/breakfast-rating-dishes-from-around-the-world.html

1 Like

Nothing beats biscuits and sausage gravy, but I’m quite fond of a full English, even if they haven’t got the bacon thing down yet.

3 Likes

We.

Or, you know, croissants and cafe au lait. Guess it’s still cool to insult an entire country.

Also, other than the short specifically about the Dutch sprinkles-bread, the specific link to his rating of breakfasts around the world is missing.

22 Likes

I love breakfast… but I never eat it in the morning. If it’s before noon, my body is objecting too hard to being awake for it to deal with anything but liquids. I wonder to what degree reviews of breakfast depend on the time of day it’s eaten.

8 Likes

Toast.

5 Likes

Same. I used to be defensive about it, and explain my stomach typically doesn’t wake until noon, but now I call it intermittent fasting, though I don’t necessarily keep all my meals within eight hours.

6 Likes

surprise fail GIF

8 Likes

Croissants are more of a treat than a daily breakfast, tartines (slices of baguette, sometimes toasted) with jam is more typical (traditionally – presently more French have cereal for breakfast, if they eat anything).

7 Likes

I can’t cope with a big breakfast (like a full English) when I first wake up, but I can’t really get going without cereal and a cup of tea. I have to eat breakfast to cope with breakfast.

As long as it’s the French, yes :wink:

3 Likes

Just trying to settle the score for France, and @chgoliz

7 Likes

People may add various eggs, meats or vegetables, but breakfast is all about the toast, the rest is just posh condiments.

5 Likes

I saw no mention of Cop Breakfast, the one with coffee, doughnuts and institutional racism.

6 Likes

Wake me up when he gets to Pho.

8 Likes

I’ve concocted an Arnold Palmer with an Amanda Palmer - ice tea and lemonade paired with vegemite on toast.

5 Likes

Yea, it’s interesting, everyone’s body is different. I generally get up pretty early (and work from home) and have coffee right away and I eat around 9a or so. Breakfast is usually a smoothie, or some Coach’s Oats or a bowl of cereal.
If I don’t have anything by 930, I’m pretty cranky. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a video in there? All I see is white space. (Usually, I assume that’s just adverts.)

I got the text link to the Dutch one, but the Kevin link only goes to his YT channel landing page.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Toast? Oh, don’t start that again (epic thread!) (You have to skip past the gun stuff but that’s where the toastie stuff starts. ETA, sadly a number of the videos and gifs have disappeared from there. Bit rot just leaves crumbs.)

And as for “pancakes and syrup - just dessert cosplaying as breakfast” - he nailed that one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

5 Likes

The Full Palmer. Nice.

5 Likes