Breakfast: rating dishes from around the world

Hold on - you like those glassy shards, American restaurants call bacon?

phò is a fine breakfast!
most mornings, my go-to is rice and beans with a tortilla and tea.
some days it’s grits with a fried egg on top.
very special days we have shrimp-n-grits!
wonder what Kevin says about all that?

6 Likes

One of my favorite Malcolm in the Middle bits was when Reese, struggling to survive in the deserts of Afghanistan, was kept alive by his motivation to get back to an American breakfast.

2 Likes

Requisite:

6 Likes

more toast.

6 Likes

I’ve never had pho for breakfast but it sounds awesome.

Your list of alternate meals are also fine choices.

Sprinkles on bread? Not so much.

5 Likes

Mm, more toast.

4 Likes

I mean the salty, fatty, melt-in-your-mouth, food-that-makes-other-food-worth-eating delight that we serve over here.

Canadian bacon is just ham, and what England calls bacon doesn’t even go that far.

2 Likes

I spent 20 years working night shift, and got used to pancakes and sausage for dinner and pot roast or burgers or burritos for breakfast.

1761si

5 Likes

Being from Venezuela there’s a good handful or two of options for traditional breakfasts so i’ll limit it to my fave two. For the quick on the go breakfast the #1 is the cachito, which is an enriched dough filled with chopped up ham and it is perfection. It’s generally paired with some OJ or a cafecito (strong coffee served to you in a small cup) and you’re generally going to buy it from your local bakery rather than make it at home.

Arepas are generally eaten for any meal of the day but the most typical for breakfast that me and my family enjoy is arepa con perico. Which is scrambled eggs cooked with sauteed ham, onion, tomatoes. And generally you’d jam some avocado and cheese in there when putting your arepa together, it hits the spot like nothing else

download

14 Likes

I would like to try all of that, please!

:drooling_face:

8 Likes

My go-to every day is a big bowl filled with a combination of Grape Nuts, shredded wheat, dry rolled oats. Top it with a sliced banana, a handful of blueberries and almond milk. It hits the spot!

6 Likes

9 Likes

I couldn’t really see many of his videos, or figure out how to sort by country, but your reminiscing brings up my own favorites from my travels.
Probably one of the top is the Turkish breakfast I got all over, in the small villages. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, feta, black olives, a few pieces of sliced baguette, and pekmez (essentially honey, but made from grapes). So good.
Then the richer one, from South Africa, a fried egg, some beans, a rasher of ham, grilled tomato, and grilled banana. And toast, of course. Really similar to the full English, but the sweetness of the banana with the salty ham really makes it.

6 Likes

If you live in a city that has a Venezuelan food truck or restaurant i would recommend you checking out any arepa offerings, if you’re overwhelmed by the choices give me a heads up!

I might also be inclined to suggest checking out a sweet corn pancake we call cachapa. The batter is made with a particular type of corn flour but also has some pounded sweet corn folded in if it’s made right. It’s traditionally served with a soft salty cheese but it has become popular to serve them with shredded meat, which is quite nice though if they have the right kind of cheese i prefer it with just the cheese.

8 Likes

4 Likes

I love seeing what other cultures do for breakfast, generally it leans more towards the savory side of things which fits my palate better. The S African breakfast sounds right up my alley, i love me some beans and fried banana or plantains are always a fave.

6 Likes

I want to try one! Seems a lot like a ham klobasnek. For some weird reason they are called koalches in Texas. The dough is sweet. They are often made with slices of ham instead of chopped ham and include cheese. The best ones have good quality ham and havarti, Gouda, or swiss. Some in Texas include jalapenos.
There’s sausage ones too.

Texas-style kolaches are also pretty yummy. Puffier than traditional Czech ones. If you are ever in West, Texas, make sure to stop at either the Czech Stop or Slovacek’s.

10 Likes
3 Likes