Breakfast: the most important meal of the day. Or is it?

[Permalink]

1 Like

This is part of why I like Soylent for breakfast. The stuff doesnā€™t instant-metabolize, since the only sugars it uses are complex ones. I donā€™t get hungry, and I donā€™t get the sugar rush and crash effect. And itā€™s no effort at all to prepare. Really, I wonder how I ever got along without the stuff.

8 Likes

No downsides!

Wait, youā€™re serious? Not a Soylent Green joke? The original is fairly nutritious, like it or not.

4 Likes

Well thatā€™s a pretty poor collection of ā€œnutrition factsā€, and not what Iā€™m used to seeing on a nutrition label. When did you last see a label that just listed the chemical elements?

How many calories in an average human? How much salt? Sugar? Fat? Artificial preservatives? Was it raised organically? Whatā€™s the ā€˜Best Beforeā€™ date? And how long can I store one in a freezer?

5 Likes

Not to mention artificial colouring; I hear some get stained orange to make them look (supposedly) more appetizing.

8 Likes

Iā€™ma have bacon and eggs. And fried bread.

5 Likes

Easy there, Hannibal. Your passionate interest inspired me into replacing the ten-second image search joke image with a much better researched thirty-second image search joke image. Progress!

Bon appƩtit! Do mind the prions though.

5 Likes

Fuck cereal. Who can take a meal seriously if thereā€™s no suitable wine?

8 Likes

A somewhat difficult proposal. The holes in the rings are too small.

6 Likes

Thanks, now my Cheeriosā„¢ make me feel inadequate :wink:

6 Likes

HERETICS!

3 Likes

I only consume cosmonaut breakfast tubes. (And Tang)

5 Likes

Breakfast is either too boring or too unhealthy to eat.

Fuck breakfast. And lunch sucks too.

And wait until 9:30 for coffee? Yah, right.

3 Likes

Intermittent Fasting (wikipedia), or IF, also known as ā€œskipping breakfast,ā€ is now pretty faddy as a possibly-backed-by-some-science simple weight-loss plan. Almost anywhere on the web you look up diet in reference to exercise, nowadays, youā€™ll see references to IF.

(NB: There are a lot of words written on the web about it, it can take a while to realize that it all just boils down to skipping breakfast.)

I donā€™t know much about whether it really leads to weight loss, though the proponents cite those studies showing fewer overall calories eaten, as well as supposed metabolic effects of short fasts. However, I do know that reading about IF made more more relaxed about my natural disinclination to eat breakfast. I no longer worry that itā€™s bad for me in some way.

1 Like

Well anecdote wise, sample size of me, so not reliable at all, but if I donā€™t have something in the morning I am usually way way way hungry come lunch time and tend to have too big a lunch.

I donā€™t have my breakfast (cheerios and skim milk) till like 830 or 9 at my desk, but Iā€™m at my desk a couple hours before that sometimesā€¦
Coffee in the car on the way to work.

Growing boys need Tang!

2 Likes

I donā€™t have breakfast til about midday usually, but then, I donā€™t get up before 10:30 if I can possibly help it.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m serious. Itā€™s great stuff. Reasonably cheap, not terrible in taste, quick to prepare, quick to drink, considerably more nutritious than a donut or muffin, and convenient all around. The brand name is a bit silly, but OTOH it never fails to prompt some kind of discussion every time it comes up, so you canā€™t say it doesnā€™t stick in your mind.