Breakfast: the most important meal of the day. Or is it?

Since I got a late start today, I didn’t dive into my Girl Scout Cookies and coffee until 9:30 – I’m afraid that I might be turning into some sort of health nut.

The Food Babe blog. I never knew that so many of our common “foods” were full of chemicals!

1 Like

Nor me! But then, the number of days that I “can possibly help it” have been… hmmm… exactly zero in the past 19 months.

Oh the joys of having a kid!

Seriously, you haven’t been having tea-parties with bunny for 4 hours already by the time 10:30 rolls around?

My kid is 19 now, I’m more likely to be woken by her reeling in drunk at 4:30 AM (and eating all the eating all the damn bacon).

If I don’t eat a few to several hundred calories of breakfast, I am bonking by 11 am. I hate juice, sweet pastries, cereal, etc. 6 eggs with cheese and some leftover meat will hold me until the early afternoon. Otherwise I eat something every 90 minutes or so during the day.

Our kids eat cereal nearly everyday for breakfast, we just have them eat it with whole milk to cut the glycemic load.

The sciencey parts of the podcast are a bit heavy on the idea of the calorie budget, which I don’t believe is the proper context for understanding obesity, but the history is very interesting.

Personally I think a dozen Krispy Kremes is the most important meal of the day.

3 Likes

“Meanwhile, in a similarly controlled Cornell University study, people who skipped breakfast consumed fewer calories by the end of the day.”

Stunning observation. Another pitfall of skipping breakfast is getting in the habit of under-eating.

2 Likes

You should get ahold of some Soylent and try 16 to 21 ounces of that for breakfast. (one fourth to one third of a pouch)

You might be surprised how much it fills you up.

Just about any beer is suitable.

That shit looks disgusting, and eggs are super easy to scramble.

I’m kind-of the exact opposite. I’ve never been a breakfast eater, but a few years ago I tried it for about six months.

Only thing I noticed was some weight gain (in general I hover around a healthy weight (much more so than many of my contemporaries), but I packed on a few unneeded pounds in the experiment).

I love breakfast and breakfast foods, but I suspect a major factor in my recent successful weight loss has been cutting out the toast and canned fruit. One modest bowl of cereal, a handful of nuts, OJ and coffee.

I still have toast on Sunday . . . and either bacon or sausage maybe every other month.

1 Like

I tend to eat when I’m hungry and breakfast is usually either toast or leftovers from when I last cooked. Lately people have been making meals for us (I’m not long out of hospital with a preemie baby still in hospital). So I just open the fridge and heat up what we’ve been given. I’m not looking forward to when I have cook again.

Finally, I don’t need to import my breakfast from mother Russia…
Pretend that you are an astronaut.

AmazonSmile: Munk Pack, Oatmeal Fruit Squeezet (4.2oz Pouch, 6 Pack):

Bulletproof coffee. You don’t have to go with the “official” version, just coffee blended with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil.

1 Like

But that means leaving out some coffee when I could be putting more coffee in it instead? :confused:

3 Likes

Just put in less water. :stuck_out_tongue:
It works for espresso.

The coffee thus displaced goes in your mouth. Geez, I gotta tell you kids everything!

2 Likes

Yeah, see, this is where the problem starts. I’m already on a couple of triple-basket ristrettos (ristretti? risttretopodes? ) as my morning starter. (Yay for home-made bottomless portafilters!)