American dialects mapped

I turned this around and made a web page that tries to guess where
you’re from, based on answers to questions about your dialect.

No, you didn’t, though it’s a cute attempt to make it look like you did.

'Based on your responses, it appears you may be from: ’ + visitorGeolocation.getField(‘cityName’) + ', + 'visitorGeolocation.getField(‘regionName’))

This is pretty cool graphical information. However I firmly believe that if you’re going to only use color to distinguish between one piece of information and another, let a colorblind person vet your image before releasing it out into the wild. red/green and blue/purple are not helpful to those of us who are color impaired.

1 Like

In New York the rectangular pizza is “Sicilian,” and differs not only in shape but also has a much thicker crust. Haven’t seen it on the West Coast, come to think of it.

What continues to drive me up the wall is when I order a plain slice and the guy asks “A cheese slice?” DO YOU HAVE ANY SLICES WITHOUT CHEESE, MOTHERFUCKER? SO YES, OBVIOUSLY A “CHEESE SLICE.”

Of course you don’t say it out loud because then you’ll be getting a mucus slice… if you’re lucky.

Also, “coffee, regular” used to mean with cream and one sugar, but I’m sure that’s withered away now that cappucinos, macchiatos, lattes, etc. aren’t some exotic things you only got in Little Italy.

Soft drink is a term used everywhere, AFAIK, but it’s sort of formal, like a server might ask if you want one at a sit-down place but it would be a little weird to say “let’s get some soft drinks” to your friends. (Source: Northeast and north-central west coast.)

Actually, that code is commented out, but yes, I’m doing something similar. Though I imagine you could get a pretty good fix on where someone is from by asking enough dialect questions.

Just curious, is it better (funnier) if I include the zip code?

They call them “bubblers” in Rhode Island, too.

What I want to know is:

1. What the hell does Louisiana call subs/hoagies? (Subs, here in NYC.) I know in Rhode Island (land of WEIRD WORDS FOR STUFF) they call them “grinders”

2. How did I have NO IDEA that the rest of the world pronounced it “SEN-TAR”? I’ve been saying “SEN-TORE” my whole life and the first time I head “SEN-TAR” I thought the person was just not seeing the “u” in ther word

Lots of places (at least in NYC) DO have slices with no cheese. They’re called margherita slices.

I used to see joints that offered Sicilian pizza exactly as you describe in San Diego, though it’s been a while. I remember it because I always preferred the thicker crust. These days, I usually see a thicker crust advertised as “Chicago style,” whereas the “New York style” out here just means a thin crust, at least in those places that differentiate and aren’t Pizza Huts.

I don’t drink alcohol, so when I find myself in a fancy restaurant (y’know, with cloth napkins), rather than perusing the wine list I just ask if they have any soft drinks. “Do you have any soda?” sounds to me like I’d run the risk of ending up with a glassful of seltzer or club soda (and I’d probably be made to feel like I deserved it), whereas the specificity of asking “Got any Dr Pepper?” strikes me as sounding a touch high-maintenance. And if I ask for a Coke I’d probably end up with a literal Coke, which is nasty unless it’s Cherry.

I don’t know why I put on airs. When I ask, they usually recite a litany similar to “Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Root Beer…” then they trail off while they try to think of what else the kids usually order. And then I’ll ask what kind of root beer they serve. Because yes, it matters. A&W, Mug, IBC, okay. Barq’s, not okay. Henry Weinhard’s, Virgil’s, Stewart’s, I’ve hit the jackpot. And any in-house concoction will always be a crapshoot with (in my experience) pretty dreadful odds.

So I might as well cop to it: I’m high-maintenance.

1. Po-boy?
1 Like

I forgot about that one…

Margherita is supposed to have fresh mozzarella.

Heh, it’s off by over a thousand miles. But I’m also using a VPN.
Good job doing nothing there. I’m sure your granny’s real impressed with your “1337 H4x0r sk1ll5”

The president never lives in Worshington, if anything, he lives in Worshington DC. Worshington is a state. Not a city on the east coast…

Sigh. Listening to the news, they talk about big news out of Washington, and I have to wait a beat and say to myself “unless it has something to do with Microsoft, Boeing, Amazon, or pot, They actually mean a city over 2000 miles away from here.”

Apologies, you’re right - my terminology was off/colored by my dumb local pizza place that calls their no-cheese slice ‘margherita’. (in Dyker Heights, no less. the shame.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.