American Folk Blues Festival 1962 - 1966: British festivals feautred some of the greatest American blues artists of all time

[Permalink]

Not to get all off network on the “bebe dot bebe s” but if there were a Quintessential Metafilterian badge … madamjujujive would be a likely candidate.

Long blort the meepzorp!

Back in the day when I was just discovering the blues, I recall thinking to myself that the recordings I was buying at the time all seemed to be reissues of American blues legends playing in England. I believe my favorite Lightnin’ Hopkins album was a concert he played in London, IIRC.

I actually attended all of those concerts at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in the sixties and was often struck by a sense that some of those old blues guys were somewhat dazed to be playing in a concert-hall arena when they were only used to playing small juke joints or whatever. The lack of intimacy wasn’t helpful to all of them but what an experience it was seeing and hearing the real men behind those legendary names.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.