American Sikh actor Waris Ahluwalia barred from US-bound flight because he refused to remove his turban

We should take this further than the bomb idea though. What if he is concealing a magic lamp in his turban… then wishes to be the most power wizard in the world…then transforms into a giant snake while the plane is in mid air? THEN WHAT?!?

11 Likes

I saw the name as “Michael Brown… meets Alan Smithee?”

1 Like

I don’t know that anyone else thinks that, or has said it’s is ONLY the US.

Have you ever looked into active listening?

1 Like

14 Likes

You’re right. I am reading into things again. I mean it’s a Mexican plane in Mexico with Mexican people, and the first comment is about how it’s because it is going to the US. Not the more likely and obvious reason that there might be racists in Mexico.

He wasn’t being hypocritical. He never claimed Canada had never had any racism.

You were not reading the thread.

Now please stop. You’re being a jerk.

2 Likes

There must be another Canada kicking around somewhere. That doesn’t fit the description of the one I am familiar with.

2 Likes

Normally, if you are going through a security check, they ask you to take off any kind of headgear—turban, hijab, fez, mitre, or Ku Klux Klan hood. And this is México, where nobody knows what sikhism is, so for them it was just a guy in a funny hat, probably smuggling cocaine in it.

2 Likes

Just to clarify: from what Waris has said, the issue wasn’t that they wanted him to remove his turban. He fully understands safety issues. But where TSA agents in other countries (and the US) are used to taking Sikh passengers aside for private screening so they can remove their turbans, AeroMexico was insisting that he remove it in public, which was offensive to him, and he refused to do.

5 Likes

To be fair, my exposure was limited in my visit. I did eat at a place run by Italian immigrants. The guy who wouldn’t let me back on the plane with my cigar punch but my pocket knife was OK was from India most likely.

That’s called ignorance, not racism. (And what do you expect from a country where > 90% of population is Christian, and the rest are probably atheists?)

Agreed. I never called it racism, and neither did Waris Ahluwalia; he wants the security agents to have sensitivity training to understand why they’re ignorant and how to avoid the situation going forward.

2 Likes

A) What @nungesser said.

B) This is structural racism/religious bias (insert discussion of links between racism and bias against developing-world religions here). In structural racism, personal malice is not required.

For example: laws that deliver 10x the sentence for the form of cocaine popular in the black community compared to those given for the form popular in the white community are structurally racist even if all of the cops, judges, juries and legislators involved are pure of heart.

Do they publicly de-habit nuns in Mexico? No?

Okay; so there is a disparate impact. No moral fault attached until the problem is pointed out; all moral fault attached afterwards.

4 Likes

I say fight both.

5 Likes

Welcome to BB. So glad to see you’ve already been banned.

6 Likes

A wise person once taught me that we fail to the level of our training. :slightly_smiling:

no hard feelings, btw. none here at least.

1 Like

Good reasoning though on the ban.

9 Likes

Well he might have been an extraterrestrial.

6 Likes