Americans are coronavirus panic-buying spiral hams and oatmilk

Oooh I love those. Add a microwave instant rice packet and you have a decent meal in under 3 minutes. I am lucky my company has a very forgiving office microwave policy. Most tend to get annoyed when making something curry like.

2 Likes

Bah, you’re not breaking the law unless you put white fish in the microwave. Red or pink fish is really pushing it, though.

I have weird coworkers, though. Fish = illegal, curry = “wow, that smells amazing! What are you cooking?” (We have a fast take-out Thai place a block away; these people are trained.)

6 Likes

I couldn’t find soy sauce yesterday. Not quite sure about that one.

Also, there were plenty of trash bags at the store. What are all the stockpiling hoarders planning to do with all that trash they’re gonna make?

3 Likes

I went out last week to the local Italian market, which was kinda famous pre-crisis for its massive meat selection, and pretty much everything was there as usual. Steaks, roasts, ham, hamburger, Italian sausage they make, the whole works. No TP or other paper products though.

2 Likes

The hoarders totally skipped most of the “international” section of my local supermarket.
I got a big tub of Tahina reasonably priced. Its homemade babaganoush time!
(When garbanzos get restocked, hummus time)

6 Likes

If you can find an asian grocery, you should be able to buy it in bulk. Soy sauce is pretty overpriced in most supermarkets.

3 Likes

i have two hams in the deep freeze now. along with two turkeys and a duck. i buy them on sale after christmas. large amounts of meat for cheap is a smart thing to buy. only “prepping” i did was rice, beans and milk to freeze.

the mixed messages from people regarding this current “crisis” is nuts. stay inside for as long as possible to avoid human contact but don’t buy the foodstuffs you need to do so. i suppose we should buy the single-serve carl budding ham packages… then the smarm won’t make fun.

2 Likes

blech… i can’t do chickpeas. although they taste good going down, the exhale after eating them tastes to me like dirty socks smell.

1 Like

Yeah, but we don’t use it often enough to buy a quart.

1 Like

I use enough garlic in homemade hummus that you don’t even notice. It also works with edamame.

1 Like

Maybe they’re hording their garbage.

2 Likes

Tahina has a shelf life of about forever when refrigerated. The only drawback is you have to stir it a little before using because it separates.

2 Likes

Actually, that sounds good…

2 Likes

I need that recipe. That ain’t the booze talking neither…

2 Likes

No Spam on the list?

When a nutritionist finally dropped by a few weeks ago to help me adapt to a low sodium/low potassium diet (she wasn’t that useful, the book I have gave me almost as much information), she suggested oat milk as a source of protein if my potassium level is too high. Beans and nuts have higher potassium levels (but also better protein levels), so you want to skip that at times,though nobody gave me much information about when I’d know my potassium is up.

But I’ve not eaten meat in forty years and hadn’t drank milk in that time.

But I assume that oat milk was mentioned, and on the list because it’s the latest, after soymilk and almond or cashew milk. If coffee places offer oat milk, it’s trendy.

It’s easy to kake soymiok, you just need enough soybeans. It’s been too long, but I think you cook them, then grind them with water in a blender, then strain the liquid. Then heat it a bit. Details should be easy to find.

3 Likes

Do we have a baking thread? I could post a good Orange-Oatmeal-Raisin-or-Cranberry recipe and my soy milk based White Cake recipe.

5 Likes

You had me at “baking thread”.

6 Likes

I gotta look through some boxes. If there’s no baking or recipe thread I can find, I’ll try to start one.

2 Likes

Amen! our first kid LOVED the soy dream original milk boxes, and they’re just…gone because of phyto-estrogen FUD and Men’s Futness. Our second daughter was raised on Ripple out of necessity, but it’s hard to keep stocked on a non-corona month.

The thing we panicked about was peanut butter. It’s quite literally the only thing with fat and protein that my 2yo will eat. We got talkings-to from the doctors about her being under the weight gain cyrve before we discovered her taste for it (and pistachios). Last week jars of Traders Joes PB were going for $16 on Amazon. When Whole Foods delivered us the 4 jars we ordered plus a bonus, the intense relief made me realize how much I was stressing.

6 Likes