Americans are coronavirus panic-buying spiral hams and oatmilk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/americans-are-coronavirus-pani.html

7 Likes

The upside to spiral hams are they are already pre-cooked for the most part. You just warm them up and add a nice glaze. Less worry about food poisoning than a pot roast or turkey.

18 Likes

Spiral Ham? Welp, I learn something new every day.

13 Likes

40 Likes

This clip is relevant to today’s situation in SO many ways.

9 Likes

Deny EVERYTHING!

9 Likes

Add replacement lint rollers to the list.

3 Likes

It’s probably because it was already staged in the stock rooms for Easter. Pre cooked hams were the last meat to disappear here (except for beef tongue and tripe) even chitterlings were gone.

13 Likes

Also great in sammiches.

6 Likes

I am having spiral ham right now.

10 Likes

And soup!
Chicken stock + beans + leftover chunks of ham =

10 Likes

The oatmilk may be because standard milk was scarce for a bit. During the week the panic-buying started, the milk cooler was empty where I shopped, and folks were raiding any alternative they could get their claws on, including oatmilk. I found standard milk at another store nearby for a 75% markup.

10 Likes

I am trying to imagine the household that would have both spiral ham and oatmilk in their fridge. It’s an unlikely combo.

Maybe, a family with one teenager who became a vegan as a New Year’s resolution?

7 Likes

Oat milk is good for people with lactose intolerance. You can make it yourself by blitzing oats and letting water soak through it. And you can make your own yeast with a sourdough starter of some kind of flour.
Having just done an online supermarket shop for the first time in ages, it disgusted me how few raw materials were available. No good oats or oatmeal - just the packaged “easy to make” stuff .
All the wholemeal flour was gone. This is supermarkets’ raison d’etre. “Let us take the effort out of cooking for you!” …this leaving you (a) ignorant of how to go about it, or at best unpracticed, and (b) at times like this, stuck. :frowning_face:

7 Likes

Jello. For some reason nearly all the jello was gone yesterday. Pudding and wiggle. I understood the flour, yeast, and frozen veg, but Jello?!

ETA: I wasn’t looking for jello, but it’s on the same aisle as yeast.

8 Likes

but Jello?

Comfort food. We had a shortage here (northern Germany) on obvious things like flour, toilet paper and canned beans, but also, some specialties that few people native to this region care for, like south German dumplings and Russian buckwheat groats.

3 Likes

my wife drinks oatmilk and it keeps a lot longer than my cows milk. (I actually prefer goats milk, but it’s expensive)

4 Likes

Regular 2 bucks or less a pound store brand hams are fully cooked, too.

2 Likes

That’s downright dangerous! Don’t mix jello and yeast people, just DON’T!

That way lies… yellow!

ETA I je(a)st, of course.

8 Likes

Last week the meat shelves had ham and sardines and that was it.

2 Likes