Customers descend on newly-arrived toilet paper at Costco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/13/customers-descend-on-newly-arr.html

9 Likes
6 Likes

A lifetime of dystopian disaster, zombie & apocalyptic fiction never prepared me for toilet roll hoarding…

:confused:

31 Likes

Costco should have put the new TP shipment pallet on the top shelf. The most athletic would have wiped the place clean with a load in their cart before the #2 level climbers even got there.

14 Likes

Herd mentality upgraded to herd stupidity.

34 Likes

Surely there’s a purchase limit…

21 Likes

You’d think someone would have thought of that, huh!

What exactly do these people think toilet paper is going to do for them? I’ve been slowly accumulating extra stockpiles of longer shelf-life items like rice and dried beans and usually buy tp in the larger packs (grocery store packs), but if I had to choose one it wouldn’t be the tp.

10 Likes

Apparently Costco here in the Minneapolis is limiting people to two cases now.

7 Likes

Here in TJ, I haven’t seen people freaking out — but as I’m going to need tp in the next few days, I guess I should make an effort to get to the store before it’s too late.

11 Likes

I think the general idea is that they may need to stay isolated indoors for a couple weeks to a month, depending on how bad things get, and they want to be sure they don’t run out. It’s not too unreasonable on the face of it- the TP isn’t going to go bad, and will definitely get used eventually. It’s only when people start buying hundreds of rolls of it to the exclusion of all else that it becomes a case of dumb, panicking sheep mindlessly copying whatever they happen to see on the news.

See also: people buying bulk surgical masks because they think it will protect them from the virus rather than help prevent spreading it to others if they already have it.

13 Likes

seriously, people, just spend $30-40 and get a bidet and a stack of washcloths to dry off with.

11 Likes

As Trevor Noah explains, you can live without toilet paper.

5 Likes

Exactly. I’ve been surprised (not really) at what people have in their carts and seem to be prioritizing. Fortunately, there are still plenty of dried staples.

1 Like

These TP hoarders ARE the shits!

I guess for the first time we are learning how many people previously shat on company time.

10 Likes

Why are shit-tickets such a hot commodity? I don’t get it. If you absolutely ran out you could still wipe with a washcloth or Taco John’s napkin. Are people expecting to be in a bunker for a month?

1 Like

We are legitimately running low. Now I worry there won’t be any.

3 Likes

Did Biden show up at the end there?

Were there any skid marks?

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand why toilet paper specifically is becoming out post apocalyptic currency of choice.

It’s not like corona virus makes you shit.

The water hoarding at least makes sense in that conspiracy theorists and apparently Evangelicals are pushing a societal collapse, end times read on this. But epidemics tend not to cause things like power outages and water main breaks.

Supermarkets by me are running low on meat. And bizarre shit like cooking oil.

It’s a little weirder than that. Cause while we’re hearing about toilet paper, it’s practically all paper goods.

I’m seeing shelves bare of tissues, paper towels, napkins, paper lunch bags and shit.

2 Likes