The retail TP shortage may be real and due to the shift in where we poop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/02/the-retail-tp-shortage-may-be.html

6 Likes

Well sure. If people can choose between getting paid to poop or giving it away for free, what do you expect them to do?

32 Likes

Obvious solution: steal toilet paper from work!

24 Likes

Our office is closed and locked, presumably to protect the toilet paper.

Its interesting that Bunnings in Australia has a surplus of commercial toilet paper and was encouraging domestic consumers to come in and buy it, when their was a shortage.

16 Likes

I always said work is shit.

6 Likes

So much meaning encapsulated in that metaphor.

16 Likes

Watch the whole thing for a good laugh if yah stuck here. But here:

6 Likes

39 Likes

Obvious in hindsight. I even suggested similar about food shortages in the thread about baking, but this one hadn’t occurred to me.

I’ve been WFH for five years now, and over that time, the thought of using commercial TP every day has become something of a hard limit for me. Here’s to hoping it stays that way.

6 Likes

I’d like to see a comparison of the per capita carbon footprint of America’s ass-wiping industry, compared to that of, say, Sweden or South Korea.

5 Likes

So, unusable then. :wink:

Honestly, I’m always amazed that anyone poops at work. Ewwww. I’ll just hold it, thank you very much.

7 Likes

If you’re good at something, never do it for free.

28 Likes

Mil-spec

10 Likes

On a kind-of related note;

Somebody mentioned a cardboard shortage because recycling pickups are limited now, so people are throwing it in their regular rubbish.
Thousands of fast food restaurants are closed, so their deliveries, usually shipped in cardboard, aren’t being added to the mix either.
Our food is usually shipped to stores in cardboard - which is now limited, holding up food deliveries.

Not forgetting that regular medical supplies are shipped in cardboard boxes and now there is an understandably increased demand.

And remember, kids, a whole lot of toilet paper is made from that recycled cardboard fiber too…

14 Likes

A few restaurant wholesalers have decided to try to sell directly to consumers, since people need the food and restaurants aren’t buying. A few office supply places are actually doing this with paper products as well.

6 Likes

Penny Arcade

15 Likes

What they claim is TP at my work place I prefer to call “make your own 2-ply”.

10 Likes

Someone said when they shut down Disneyland, the guards were making sure nobody was taking toilet paper home.

The “three clams” is going to be a thing, any minute now.

10 Likes

People have been fighting at Costco for store brand TP, but it’s available to order from Staples in cases of 80 for the business market…

…or you could buy those squares of wax paper for donut shops to grab donuts with… pretty much the same thing.

6 Likes