Just gonna day this but, wow. Pics of my grocery store selling out

6 Likes

Someone filled their entire cart with eggs. Anyone know what the point of this is?

Also, just gonna say this but, bread lines? Looks like Trump was the secret communist all along.

1 Like

Two hundred and thirty-nine thousand lightly fried eggs fell out of it too, materializing in a large woobly heap on the famine-struck land of Poghril in the Pansel system.

The whole Poghril tribe had died out from famine except for one last man who died of cholesterol poisoning some weeks later.

—Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

13 Likes

I went to the store yesterday just to restock on the basics and there were people there with two and three suitcases along with their carts. Unbelievable.

3 Likes

11 Likes

TIL there’s a thing such as cholesterol poisoning.

The fuck. Who needs that much toilet paper‽

5 Likes

My question is… is that a lifetime supply? Like are they burning it? What’s the plan here?

3 Likes

Nobody.

Just panic buying. People completely disengaging their frontal cortex and living on lizard brain power.

“Must gather supplies. Must fortify defenses. Must prepare for siege.”

11 Likes

I said to the store manager, “are you guys restocking tonight?” He said: “the morons bought out our restock too, we have to wait for the next delivery in the morning”. I was thinking, never in my life have I seen Walmart or Weis not be able to restock for the morning because of panic buying.

5 Likes

We usually go shopping Friday nights because we’re a boring couple. Last night, I had something to do and I also noticed the parking lots looked full up at both nearby stores, so we decided to do our run this morning at 7:30 a.m.

Lots of produce but meat/poultry, lunch meats/cheese, canned foods and pasta and rice completely wiped out. Same for all cleaning products and toilet paper. How much cleaning can one household do?

The line to check out went all the way around the store, 30 minutes minimum and no express lines.

5 Likes

You think the people who bought that stuff is actually using it?

4 Likes

9 Likes

Cool-Hand-Luke-quotes-5

7 Likes

Yeah. I do the purchasing for our company and our Las Vegas location requested the usual replenishment of supplies, which includes TP, wipes, sanitizer. We usually use Amazon, but we tried Uline. Nope. Nothing until April according to their website. I reached out to our Uline rep and he said maybe even a few months.

1 Like
5 Likes

I think the panic buying is based on a false rumor. Most toilet paper is made in North America, and because warehousing costs are so high, it’s made to order. So unless you need to top up quarantine supplies, there’s no reason to buy.

The hand sanitizer thing bothers me.

Mr. Colvin does not believe he was price gouging. While he charged $20 on Amazon for two bottles of Purell that retail for $1 each, he said people forget that his price includes his labor, Amazon’s fees and about $10 in shipping. (Alcohol-based sanitizer is pricey to ship because officials consider it a hazardous material.)

Mr. Colvin said he was simply fixing “inefficiencies in the marketplace.” Some areas of the country need these products more than others, and he’s helping send the supply toward the demand.

dude: unless you can conceive of a way to ship hazardous material for less than ten bucks a package, you aren’t fixing inefficiencies in the marketplace. You are the inefficiency.

16 Likes

For ethanol, anything 70% by volume or greater is considered flammable (as opposed to merely combustible). That I learned, back in better days, from picking up a few bottles of George T. Stagg, a barrel-strength bourbon that varies from batch to batch.

I still have a couple of bottles. No, I won’t be using them as hand sanitizer.

2 Likes

11 Likes

At my local grocery store, they not only had the shelves full of toilet paper, but they had palettes of it stacked in the aisle. They were either trying to make a point to the hoarders, or they were putting it all there and getting out of the way.

3 Likes