Americans increasingly in favor of an authoritarian crackdown, according to new poll

This. My parents (who are in there 70’s and watch way too much Fox News) would likely answer the phone. Getting them to take the survey might be a bit harder. Myself? I’ve answered less than 3 political related surveys in my life. I don’t answer unknown calls, emails, and especially not things coming in the mail.

During normal waking hours I’m busy with work, kids, and life. I don’t have time for that non-sense.

7 Likes

The one thing I like about T-Mobile is their caller ID system. When a political call comes in (whether it’s polling, fundraising, etc), it shows up on my screen as:

(XXX) XXX-XXXX
POLITICAL CALL

And I know to hit the “send to voicemail” button.

6 Likes

That’s a count, not a year.

Are you sure? Why no comma in the original document? The description of their methodology isn’t terribly clear from that text.

1 Like

SURVEY
METHOD
2P R O J E C T H O M E F I R E
From August 25th to September 11th, 2023,
Project Home Fire worked with InnovateMR, a top-
tier marketing research data collection firm, to
gather online responses from 2008 registered
voters in the United States.

2008 registered voters vs voters registered in 2008, seems pretty clear to me.

6 Likes

The greatest tragedy of Trump was not his corruption – he was certainly the most corrupt president in the history of the United States – the greatest tragedy was all the people who surrendered their agency as human beings to Donald Trump. That is the sign that something is very wrong in our society, where huge swaths of people – maybe as many as 1/3 of the people – decided that their lives weren’t worthy enough and they would surrender their agency to basically a crook, to a conman. It’s basically the same principle that Hitler used to take over and that most dictators use to take over. It’s a pathetic construct though, because it means there are an awful lot of Americans who have given up on themselves and we have to figure out how to motivate them not to do that.

former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean, 2021-03-23

12 Likes

That’s what I was referring to. It’s not as clear as it should be. Why no comma?

This seems to be a narrative they’ve been pushing for years: https://www.news10.com/top-stories/poll-half-of-trump-voters-41-of-biden-voters-support-splitting-up-the-u-s/amp/

This feels too much like the GOP-backed No Labels narrative, but I don’t really have any compelling evidence, just skepticism.

2 Likes

And the greatest irony of it all is how that description is to the letter what the rightwing media screamed about Obama’s presidency the whole time. They constantly whinged that the world had fallen for Obama’s “Celebrity” (?!?) and were sucked in a manipulated and not thinking about policies or for themselves, but worshipping the man.

Meanwhile, the GOP has escalated from Ronald Reagan through Schwarzenegger, Jesse, The Body The Mind, Ventura up through Trump, the purest distillation of “Celebrity Conman” ever created. Unless the GOP elects a Buckets-of-Slop TV pastor next, I don’t even know how they continue their quest.

6 Likes

tom cruise projector GIF

Same as always, man. Same as always.

9 Likes

I think sometimes when people try to empathize they just imagine what it would take to get them to hold that position without having to change who they are fundamentally. So they imagine that if they themselves voted for Obama the reasons would be thus. Often they accurately asses the worst parts of themselves but then mistakenly attribute it to the other.

In fact most people voted for Obama for other reasons. But since the self awareness never had to kick in Trump voters just went on acting like the thing they claim to hate and fear the most when they got the chance while expecting to just infinitely blame other people for what amounts to their own moral weakness and love of celebrity strongman archetypes.

9 Likes

If the Lord Kitchener poster begat the Big Brother poster then doesn’t that also make Big Brother and Uncle Sam siblings?

As an aside Kitchener’s full honorific was “Field Marshal the Right Honourable the Earl Kitchener, Knight of the Order of the Garter, Knight of the Order of Saint Patrick, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight Commander of the Order of the Star, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael and St. George, Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire, Privy Council of the United KIngdom.” And that’s not counting foreign or honorary titles. The bastard’s business card was like three pages long.

5 Likes

The problems begin with “willing to answer a poll” ≠ “representative sample.”

8 Likes

Jesse Ventura was a third-party candidate

The Republican nominee was Norm Coleman

7 Likes

Kitchener’s luxuriant mustache would probably have interfered with a gas mask

Anthony Burgess claims that there was a correspondence school which actually used the slogan “Let me be your big brother”

http://www.kushima.org/?p=19064#comments

Orwell is, of course, perfectly capable of synthesizing multiple influences into something new.

1 Like
4 Likes

it wasn’t to me, but it looks like they’ve done similar studies before. and they apparently try to capture equal numbers of voters from both parties. so it’s probably two sets of 1004 voters

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/new-initiative-explores-deep-persistent-divides-between-biden-and-trump-voters/

From July 22 to Aug. 4, 2021, Project Home Fire worked with InnovateMR, an industry-leading top 20 marketing research data collection firm, to capture online responses to more than 300 questions spanning social, political, and psychological topics from 1,001 Donald Trump presidential election voters and 1,011 Joe Biden voters (N=2,012), with a margin of error of +/- 2.2 percentage points

3 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.