Americans who can't afford health care are taking fish antibiotics

This is madness. Now cat tranquilizer? That’s a different story.

1 Like

This is nothing new. When I was on the Ren Faire circuit in 1991 I was doing this to clear up an ear infection.

Elites don’t feel shame. We have an obvious failed medical system. My God, humans, people are FORCED to resort to pet care for their medical issues. And the political system shrugs…

We have tent cities, homeless, working poor, and student indenture as a norm. No mainstream press outlet (compromised) raises a stink, and it all stinks. Now, the increasingly fragile are forced to pay the most expensive pharma prices in the world or resort to animal care for their health.

We have long since collapsed, it just hasn’t been reported.

2 Likes

I don’t feel ashamed, but I probably will when the fish Vicodin wears off.

4 Likes

The fact that people do not know this is not a bug,
it is a feature.

OK, so the problem here is not the meds. Veterinary meds are essentially equal to human-intended meds. Largely manufactured by the same companies. Less legal exposure, but pretty much the same chemically. The problem is not the expense. Hell, generic amoxicillin can be had at Wallyworld for $4 or less. There are two issues, as I see it.

1. Access. To get prescription drugs, you need a prescription. That means seeing a health care provider. Should be easy, cheap, even free. Is not.

2. Knowledge. This is, admittedly, where my “you cannot replace 10 years of postgraduate training and 25 years of experience with a google search” rant tends to come out. Knowing what med works for what illness and when the best option is no med is a huge issue. Taking antibiotics for viral illnesses is killing people (literally) by creating the environment for resistant organisms to evolve and thrive. Folks do not need antibiotics for snotty noses, and if they have pneumonia, they need to be under medical care due to potential for very serious complications.

Having said these things, I also really do understand why so many people just can not do them. Our system is broken, busted, FUBAR’d and possibly irretrievable. But please, explore other options, free clinics, volunteer organizations, whatever, before you try to conduct an uncontrolled medical experiment upon yourself. The consequences can be truly awful.

8 Likes

https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/atto/serie_generale/caricaDettaglioAtto/originario?atto.dataPubblicazioneGazzetta=1978-12-28&atto.codiceRedazionale=078U0833&elenco30giorni=false

I suppose that the states should translate this law that was written in Italy in 1978 (prime minister was Andreotti, of the Christian Democratic party, not a commie at all) , modify to me suite to the US law and constitution. Medicare for all in short term.
Before there was the system of “Mutue” that had a lot of problem, sometimes leaving people without health coverage.

Obviously none of you have ever lived under the radar. The system allows us to die but not to purchase the only meds we can afford.

I learned about this from a country boy who had to give his animals antibiotic shots and from a widow who shared an unknown genetic problem with her husband and had a houseful full of dying children. She spent her money on their meds and went to the feed store when she became ill.

I’m trying to keep my Medicare number out of bad hands: already had one card stolen. I get my vaccines waaaayy out of town and am looking for a GP who won’t put me into the system.

We DON’T have a health care “system” in the US. What we have is a bunch of people trying to make money practicing medicine, who are vulnerable to all the foibles that beset people. And we have a pack of insurance companies and “health care management” companies run by people who have the souls of hyenas, lamprey eels, and maggots. And we have pharmaceutical companies run by people who are villainous, depraved scum. And we have government officials who are a mob of soulless corporate whores who will do literally anything in return for campaign funds and who think they are the senators from Koch Brothers and the representatives from Monsanto and who view their oaths of office as a joke. And we have regulatory agency officials who are a pack of willfully incompetent, venal yes-men who think “government service” translates into “feed trough”. And we have a lot of sick people who feel powerless to do anything about the situation because they can’t afford to buy insurance, stock, or assassins.

1 Like

Hey, now. Hyenas are amazingly social creatures, lampreys are fascinating in their own slimy way and maggots are just bebes. Let’s not sully their good names like that!

3 Likes

A carp ton of people are with out healthcare. On a larger scale, these politics really are giving me a haddock.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.