An American in Yemen: unlikely and wonderful tourism

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Just remember, Americans abroad (especially in Yemen) should keep their eyes to the sky:

2 Likes

No kidding. We’re probably all on a watchlist for reading this article.

1 Like

Wow, he is a phenomenal writer. His blog has links to many of his other travelogues. Eagerly awaiting part 2 of this one!

1 Like

I had never heard of Sana before or had really any idea what life is like in Yemen, this was very interesting.

That said, I could go on a huge rant about how frustrating it is that nobody* in the US moves through public spaces this way, either on foot or driving.

Watching Fouad teaches me how to move through public spaces. You never stop to let people through; you just adjust your pace and path to squeeze by as necessary. People in tight spaces will flow like a liquid, and it turns out that if everyone presses forward, the system works.
The only way to screw up is by being unpredictable in your movements, or trying to apologize. People who need to get through more urgently will yell or honk as they’re coming up behind you. Tomorrow I’ll learn that this system applies also to driving

yes. so much this. everyone please do it this way.

*except skaters and maybe half the cyclists out there

1 Like

Also, don´t look people directly in the eye, keep your gaze at about shoulder/chest height, not focusing on anything in particular but taking in all of the surrounding area. This gives you awareness to react to unpredictable movements by others and doesn´t catch their attention as much as eye contact, which could possibly lead to further unpredictable movement/stoppage. I move through crowds quickly like this all the time.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog post and will watch carefully for updates.
I am hoping to learn if the Yemeni men have insight into their national misogyny,

It helps that Cegłowski is an extremely talented writer – this is some of the best travel writing I’ve ever read.

Pardon the froth here, but I am a serious Cegłowski fanboi. I find most travel writing not very interesting;  Maciej is an exception.

It helps that he’s hilarious when he wants to be, but humour’s a tool he doesn’t need to rely on: when he has something serious to say, he’s even more breathtaking.

Also if you need to check your phone or have a conversation, step to the side instead of suddenly stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk. And if you’re having a conversation, don’t stand perpendicular to the flow of traffic, what the hell is wrong with you?

1 Like

One thing Maciej deserves kudos for is Pinboard!

Seeing the scant updates in 2014 on his blog, I am wondering how long we’ll have to wait to hear about the rest of his time in Sana’a.

It’s going to be well worth the wait.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.