An annotated bibliography of anarchism in science fiction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/22/astro-kropotkins.html

6 Likes

Jumped right to ‘R’ to make sure Eric Frank Russell’s Wasp was in there. Left satisfied.

1 Like

8eece23892f09af3f24079e2292dd11198943166_1_353x499

8 Likes

Ursula K. Le Guin’s entry is appropriately enormous.

3 Likes

That list is useless. It has every single book on there where someone somewhere feels has some vague theme related to anarchy, no matter how much of a grasp it is. It might as well just be a random list of sci-fi books. There is no anarchy in fucking Ender’s Game, Wind Up Girl, or many other books on that list. Both of those books are about people working for governments to deal with national or planetary threats.

4 Likes

I assume The Culture is in there?

2 Likes

“I demand my anarchy to be formally organized according to a system of rigid standards!”

11 Likes

Did not see James Hogan’s Voyage from Yesteryear there.

Dirac Angestun Gesept!

1 Like

Yar. Yar.

Given that one of the fundamental tenets of anarchism is that all the other anarchists are doing it wrong, what we really need here is a big long list of different annotated bibliographies of anarchism in science fiction, with detailed discussions of how each of them falls short.

5 Likes

Hey Rindan, Eden from the site here. The archive definitely needs a ton of work and it was definitely built around Ben’s personal opinions to begin with (with which he did a ton of very necessary work, and we thank him for it). If you feel like stuff is lacking, please feel free to contribute and correct it :slight_smile:

We’re on Github here so you can edit the source material directly (it’s in Markdown) and remove whatever you wish. We’ll review the Pull Request and can discuss from there! Or, if you’d prefer, simply email me at the address found in the repo or the about us page on the site and we can talk further from there.

For what it’s worth, it also irks me that Card is on the archive, especially because of his personal bigotry. It’s on my to-do list to review!

Thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfamiliar with that! Got a link or two for me so I can review?

So say we all!

2 Likes

" : in the absence of conditioning and with limitless robotic labor and fusion power, Chiron has become a post-scarcity economy. Money and material possessions are meaningless to the Chironians and social standing is determined by individual talent, which has resulted in a wealth of art and technology without any hierarchies, central authority or armed conflict."

A “lost earth colony” story; the colonists are fertilized embryos, decanted from uterine replicators, and raised by robots, and as a result they have no preconceived notions about anything, really, that have been imposed by parents or society.

I don’t know if I would have picked Wasp, which is more about asymmetric warfare.

For Eric Frank Russell, And Then There Were None should probably come first.

Space Willies/Next of Kin…? Heh, but no.

Wasp features a one-man sabotage campaign against the Sirian Empire. It went down well at the time, but by 1986 was perceived as entertaining, but quaint and sexist.

Sexist? I’ll have to re-read it. After 9/11, it seemed to attract a lot of “handbook for terrorists!” fluff.

1 Like

Ugh. I can’t count the number of things that i loved as a kid that I bring up to friends and they inform me that the far-right or some other despicable group love it too, but for all the wrong reasons.

It was recommended to me as a teen as an anarchist’s primer, but yeah, that’s closer to it as he was working for his government.

I just finished Sinister Barrier (odd, but enjoyable), but I’ve never read And then There Were None. I’ll check it out!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.