My favorite fiction debuts of 2013

[Permalink]

I presume someone has already done a suitably scholarly tome about the fact that American zombie stories experienced a surge that correlates pretty darned well with American financial unease, and comparing that to the apocolyptic story surge that accompanied the worst of the Cold War.

Sure looks like displacement to me.

I read the blurb for Constellation Games and immediately set out to buy it, unfortunately being unemployed puts a limit on what I can spend on things so I was worried about the price. I was pleasently suprprised to find that the ebook is $4.99 at amazon.ca and $2.99 at amazon.com, it has fallen in price at amazon.ca for the ebook as I look at it now…weird, the paperback is a normal price however.

I have been reading stories from within WattPad lately and came across the fantastic author Kevin Weinberg that nicknamed himself Parogar. Witty and funny at the best tradition of Terry Pratchet, but somehow different. Younger maybe, but nevertheless, mature, and full of style and humor.

I normally read books a couple years after they debut, but I did read one debut Sci-FI novel this year, Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie. I did receive it for free, but by the description it was something I might have bought myself (but probably not for a few years), and I definitely will be buying the sequels. Here’s the description:

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch. From debut author Ann Leckie, Ancillary Justice is a stunning space opera that asks what it means to be human in a universe guided by artificial intelligence.

Anyway, I quite liked it, and if you’re a SF fan, it might be worth a look.

(Other than having received it free in a giveaway, I have no connection to the author, I just liked it and think it deserves greater notice)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.