An even better Fitbit, the Charge HR

[Permalink]

Does it work if you leave it in your pocket (obviously no HR) instead of on the wrist?

I love my One and would buy the newer model, but Iā€™ve already got enough crap on my wrists without adding one more gadget.

They claim it works but not as accurately. I have not tried. I miss the clip of the ultra and the flower of activity.

I wonder if the motorcycles break the wrist trackers.

Once the health insurances will mandate wearing those, and insist on having access, weā€™ll be in a world of trouble. (And a world of cheating devices; I for one know Iā€™d make myself one.)

I ordered the HR the first day it became available in Canada and I love it. All of a sudden I need to know my heart rate at every point of my day. It keeps me honest and off of the escalators. My favorite feature is the vibrating call notification. Iā€™m the type to keep my cell on silent and now I donā€™t miss a callā€¦unless I want to of course.

1 Like

Oooooh. I tried some silent alarms and they are a nice way to wake up!

there are a lot of things I love about my fitbit HR BUT there are some things that you should know. Itā€™s lousy at counting floors/stairs. I have repeatedly gone up and down stairs and it hasnā€™t recorded anything, other times it recoeded some when I was on the same floor. Thereā€™s a lot of discussion/complain on the fitbit forums but not much in the way of answers from fitbit. I also discovered when I was out at a performance that it records applause as steps. On the plus side itā€™s got me up and moving around more and it integrates very well with myfitnesspal.

Another trick is a metalhalide lamp on a timer clock. The lamp gets switched on at a preset time, say 5 minutes before the alarm clock starts getting buzzy. As the discharge tube takes its sweet time to heat, the light output is gently increasing to full brightness, like a somewhat fast sunrise.

If you prefer a golden glow over a white one, choose a high pressure sodium.

Both are available in grow shops, including the ballasts and sockets and other armatures.

1 Like

The vibrating alarm is very versatile as you can wear it on other body parts besides your wrist. :alarm_clock:

ā€œBest and complete trackerā€?

Have you not tried the Polar V800?

http://www.polar.com/en/products/maximize_performance/running_multisport/V800

Makes the Charge HR look like an old Swatch :smile:

I had a Flex for ages. Always got my 10k steps!

Then I got a new iPhone and switched it out. I rarely get 10k steps anymore even though my lifestyle has not really changed. This observation has led me to the conclusion that I wave my hands around too much.

2 Likes

How long before you have to wear one to get a ā€˜discountā€™ on your health insurance?

3 Likes

At first, I thought ā€œholy crap, that would be terribleā€. Now Iā€™m thinking I might actually go for that.

Getting an activity tracker motivated me to make small changes like walk more, prefer stairs to the elevator, etcā€¦ If I knew my fitbit data would have a real impact on my life (like if my insurance company could see it), it would be even more motivating and I would be better off.

The hard part is verifying that the insurance company is giving discounts to those who opt in and arenā€™t simply charging more to those who opt out. The former Iā€™m in favor of, the latter is terrible.

Thereā€™s a company over here thatā€™s got a promotion offering $100 in groceries if you hit your 10k every day for one month.

1 Like

People insisting upon access is only a problem if you concede.

1 Like

Nice. If it was Aldi/Trader Joes I could eat for 2 weeks!

2 Likes

The ones in power typically have a range of financial and disciplinary instruments to push you into compliance. (Or, into the middle ground - faked compliance. If you donā€™t get caught, you can reap benefits of both conceding and not-conceding. If you cannot win, donā€™t play; if you cannot avoid playing, cheat.)

Iā€™ve heard of some companies offering perks like discounts on insurance if you take part in their Corporate Fitbit program or somesuch. Itā€™s a nice idea while itā€™s voluntary, just like those car insurance OBD-II dongles.

I know when I did an online challenge (to win a free ipad), you could see the leaderboard updating in real-time and that was motivation enough to up my daily summer steps per day from 12k to 25k+ (and lost to someone who ā€œdidā€ 40k steps per day for the entire month).

As for your cheating device, just rig up something to staccato vibrate around 110 bpm to a random count of between 10 and 20, every 45-60 seconds or so - these have an accelerometer that can tell if youā€™re walking, but it starts counting after enough ā€œstepsā€ in case youā€™re running in place or on a treadmill. Now, if you want it to look real enough to fool an HR drone, Iā€™d suggest a randomized pattern that simulates ā€œbusyā€ and ā€œnot busyā€ parts of your day. Stairs counts would be more difficult, but you can fool it with movement + pressure change. Sounds like a job for Arduino?

Iā€™m more curious in sleep tracking than step tracking. Does anyone have a rec on good tech for sleep stuff?

More likely a raspi. Arduino could do it but has a little power and this one task would benefit from more memory for some scripting interpreter to make development easier. (Or Arduino maybe as just a USB-motors interface, and handle the rest on some bigger iron.)

Also, a replay attack (record the data obtained during activity, then mimic those), with randomly modified data to look more real, will be a suitable strategy.

Random thoughtā€¦ could e.g. The Sims be leveraged as a behavioral simulation engine for generating the data for the motion controller (e.g. when to run and how many steps)?