Cheap phone rocker for boosting your daily step count

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/cheap-phone-rocker-for-boostin.html

6 Likes

When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure

22 Likes

Forgets to take phone off rocker, insurance company thinks i didn’t sleep for 4 complete days and walked non-stop for 384 miles…promptly cancels my insurance.

18 Likes

11 Likes

How else will you hatch your Pokemon Go eggs?

13 Likes

Can these be used to wind a “self-winding” watch? $2 is a tiny fraction of the cost of most automatic watch-winders.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Yeah, certain insurance providers in the US have similar optional health and wellness programs which include walking a certain number of steps per day, among other hoop jumping, to lower a participant’s outrageous insurance premium.

4 Likes

As long as you can attach the watch so it rocks in the axis of the winding rotor, it should work just fine.

Alternatively, you could make an inexpensive one…

Easy…

Less easy…

7 Likes

Some of us need a little extra help to earn those 15-million Merits.

13 Likes

Oh… that makes sense, I guess (meaning with regards to people’s motivations)…

6 Likes

I have one that I made years ago (by hacking a solar-powered rotating display stand), but it never worked very well and finally failed. Repair parts would cost more than $2, and what was fun doing once would just be a chore the second time.

4 Likes

Exactly. The author could have just as easily written

5 Likes

As per usual, most China-is-a-SF-dystopian-nightmare reporting merely echoes long-established trends in the West.

7 Likes

Last year my aunt discovered her fitbit-thingy registered using an electric whisk to fluff up a bowl of double cream as about 100 steps.
We then ate all that cream on dessert, so I guess she cheated twice.

14 Likes

That uses your GPS. I have hatched eggs with phone sitting still on wifi thanks to satellite drift.

7 Likes

Reminds me of a comment I saw back when Fitbits were new. Something like “My Fitbit says I need to get in 10,000 steps in the next 20 minutes. I have duck tape, and I have a Sawzall. No problem.”

7 Likes

Sounds like this helps explain the nasty effect of ticketing/arrest quotas.

1 Like

This should make the “Best Life Hacks of 2019” list.

1 Like

Wait, hold on, why are people in China paying health insurance premiums? I thought China used the threat of jail or social exclusion to control motivation, not pricing. What kind of shitty communism is that? Or is it just, like “company store” communism (the mirror image of “freedom dividend” company store libertarianism…)

5 Likes