An instant Amiga or Atari ST in your browser

Originally published at: An instant Amiga or Atari ST in your browser | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem to do anything, but I probably need to tweak various ‘fuck off, I don’t need THAT bit of the internet’ extensions before it would work.

1 Like

The Atari ST ROMs are odd too. TOS 1.0 was a bootstrap that loaded an OS image from floppy. I don’t know if a hard drive would even work before TOS 1.4.

3 Likes

I thought there were now totally-legitimate open-source replacements for the Kickstart ROMs?

All I get is a grey screen - not even a Guru Meditation Error :frowning:

You do realise linking to any rom is illegal? Amiga Kickstart roms are still copyright. Just saying.

Flouting copyright is a civil matter in most countries, not a criminal offence. Not to mention that just linking to an infringing site isn’t illegal in many jurisdictions.
Basically, don’t take the RIAA/MPAA propaganda to heart, think for yourself “who am I harming if I download this thing”, and if you’re not harming actual people (corporations don’t count), and you’re not making a profit off it, go right ahead.
In this case, whatever entity might now own Commodore’s old copyrights doesn’t have any link to the actual human beings that wrote those ROMs, so downloading them won’t harm anyone. (Also, there’s no possible way to buy them even if you wanted to.)

Seriously, corporations aren’t people, and you shouldn’t give a fuck what they want you to do.

3 Likes

BTW, the ROM archive torrent linked in the original article is corrupt.
But you can still download the zip.

Also, there has been a re-upload:
archive[dot]org/details/AmigaSingleRomsA-ZReuploadByGhostware

Not sure what the difference is.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.