An Ohio RadioShack Facebook page says "We closed. F--- all of you"

I thought RadioShack had defuncted completely until i saw one at a somewhat busy intersection, figured it was an independent shrug :confused:

1 Like

I went into a mall Radio Shack looking for a clock radio… They didn’t have one.

1 Like

And no smell of leather. That’s just not right!

Mmmmm Jeni’s…

(I got really excited when I learned that Boston area Whole Foods were going to carry Jeni’s ice cream. Then I saw the $10 per PINT price tag.)

2 Likes

3 Likes

the HH gregg down the road closed a few weeks ago.

And even Nieman Marcus is feeling the blues.

Wherever shall we buy our scale replica X-Wings now?

2 Likes

Yeah, but 3pm on a Sunday

(We’ve still got Maplin)

Same here in Aus but they were pushed out of that market by Dick Smith. Before he sold out Dick’s salesmen all had amateur radio callsigns on their name badges. Dick was a maker himself and knew the market. But then he sold the chain and it withered over about 20 years. It was really down to that one person.

3 Likes

Still eternal.

2 Likes

I had the same reaction, yep. I had high hopes that when a Boston-based investment firm put a major stake in Jeni’s last year “to spur growth” that they’d grow here soon, but so far, nothing. But I can also get pints of Graeters around here, and it’s a lot cheaper!

2 Likes

You can seriously get Graeter’s in Boston? Where?

I believe all Stop and Shops carry it, as well as Whole Foods. Just got a pint of Black Raspberry Chip the other day for about $6!

1 Like

I’m fine with it; it’s people that have undoubtedly been treated like shit by customers letting off steam in general and non-specific ways. Customers, as a whole, are pricks. Part of earning a paycheck in the service industry is swallowing your humanity and being someone’s whipping-boy for a few hours a week. Sure, sure, #notallcustomers, and I’m sure no one would admit to being it (everyone’s an above-average driver, right?), but every day, day after day, you are being shat on for less than minimum wage and a bit of a commission if you manage to sell a cell phone.

Someone wants to blow off some steam by insulting a vague and undefined aggregate in a Facebook feed as they are relieved of their jobs? Awesome, go for it.[quote=“oncebce, post:34, topic:99323”]
That’s part of the problem. Most local RadioShacks I’ve been to in the last few years had morphed into crappy cell phone stores with an incomplete assortment of other items.
And really, even if phones were a good profit item for RadioShack, why would most people in need of a new phone not just go to the carrier store?
(Also, IIRC, those little components had pretty good profit margins too…)
[/quote]

Mostly it’s down to more people buying cell phone than buying inductors. At the point of this transition, the little components didn’t pay for their space in drawers and would mostly sit around gathering dust in most stores.

It certainly didn’t help the store any when that savvy customer came in for an inductor and were offered a cell phone instead, but the idea was that one cell phone would pay for 10 of those hobbyists.

It kind of worked. For a little while. But RadioShack never could manage to be identified in people’s minds with cell phones (and would always lose out to carrier stores and, most prominently, APPLE, even when they did manage the transition).

4 Likes

Meanwhile, Amex can’t seem to convince millenials they should pay for a credit card with “prestige” and a large annual fee instead of a card with ample rewards from a lesser institution:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.