An Ohio zoo staff was shocked when their "male" gorilla gave birth

Originally published at: An Ohio zoo staff was shocked when their "male" gorilla gave birth | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Happy Excuse Me GIF

9 Likes

Sounds like it was a Sully surprise.

9 Likes

So it sounds like Sully went with a homebirth if the whole medical staff missed the delivery. No one thought to ask the dula?

3 Likes

Gorilla pregnancies last ~9 months, like humans. That is a long time not to check in on the health of a gorilla that in theory is under daily evaluation.

Nat Geo Wild Wtf GIF by Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER

15 Likes

Gorillas are renowned among penis/teste-studiers (my job is weird) for having rather small endowments, so they’d have to look pretty close to see. They make up for it by being able to thoroughly pummel any of the smartass and well-endowed bonobos who may be tempted to mock them. But you’d think that the caretakers would be looking pretty closely and pretty often what with the whole critically endangered thing. Check the health of your apes, yo!

17 Likes

Now I have questions about the origin of your username…is the surprise related in any way to your work?!

5 Likes

Oh, I am so tempted to make up something fun! But alas, it’s just a phrase I started using to describe a stupid storyline development after watching Jack Bauer’s daughter randomly meet a mountain lion in the first season of 24. My work is on sexual behaviors (criminal ones specifically) in men but us shrinks do love our comparative analysis of sexual behaviors in other animals.

14 Likes
5 Likes

Ahhh, Kimbicile! She was my most/least favorite! :rofl:

2 Likes

“ok, about 10 months ago we started to suspect Sully might be gay… he was pretty close with this other dude gorilla.”

2 Likes

It’s one of the more interesting things to find out on your wedding night.

4 Likes

I think I learned about that when a woman who was a big fan of King Kong did the math to prove that fucking him would be perfectly safe and reasonable.

2 Likes

Assigned Male at Birth, eh?

4 Likes

Animals can sometimes give us a smokey mirror of our irrational behaviors. Because people will make up some crazy rationalizations to explain why they did what they did.

2 Likes

Between the car brand and the topic I instantly thought of this tune
Warren Zevon - Gorilla, You’re A Desperado - YouTube

Walt Kelley once had a character in his Pogo comic strip ask Porky, the porcupine character, how one tells a boy porcupine from a girl porcupine. Porky replied that “That should only be of interest to another porcupine”.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.