An online community that deletes itself once it's indexed by Google

[Permalink]

1 Like

So the site waits until it gets noticed, THEN destroys the content? And it judges that it has been noticed because it appears in public indexes.

This seems like a clever setup, but it also seems like a neither-here-nor-there solution. Google can still index the whole site for its own data gathering purposes, and the NSA can still do whatever it does with the content on the site. All this software really seems to do is screw with search results.

Or am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

You’re approaching it as an anti-surveillance trick. I think it’s actually more of an art project of the “I made a thing that doesn’t do what you’d expect a thing like that to do! See how delightfully weird I am!” genre.

I would refer you to the creator’s stated intent, but “Why would you do such a thing? The full explanation is in the content of the site” (which is now gone forever). So who the fuck knows.

Oh, wait, it also says “If you didn’t find it before it went away, you can maybe watch this instead” (link to a video of sock puppets making fun of performance art). SO IRONIC, MUCH META

14 Likes

Hmmm… this looks familiar…

13 Likes

I want it to delete every subsequent reference to it but it ca

5 Likes

And I want to make a bot that scrapes this site and posts everything to unindexedarchive.com.

4 Likes

The book whose print disappears the moment it hits light, the record that destroys itself when it’s played once…I love this stuff. Everything is ephemera.

3 Likes

Fair enough. It’s the flashmob of discussion forums.

3 Likes

Not to toot my own horn, but I did something like this YEARS ago…

Or did I?

5 Likes

I like this muddying the waters. It should be fed the comments from local newspapers’ websites and youtube.

1 Like

Also see

4 Likes

I’m all for people making statements, practical or artistic, silly or profound, cached or uncached. So more power to them.

But I gotta say, for the presumably indelible record, I don’t get it.

1 Like

Curious about how one goes about adding a project like this to their resume/portfolio.

2 Likes

Why bother? Activities undertaken to impress others are probably not worth doing.

Why bother? Activities undertaken to impress others are probably not worth doing.

I see one of us is independently wealthy…

4 Likes

It reminds me of the concept for the game, Killswitch. http://karvinacorporation.wikia.com/wiki/Killswitch

A forum/website that would never get much in the way of traffic and nuked itself after a few weeks.
Sounds like any one of my many aborted attempts at blogs. :laughing:

4 Likes

Naturally of course, the wayback machine managed to get a copy before it unindexed itself.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150213152238/http://eep40h.herokuapp.com/

3 Likes

from the Wayback archive:

If you wish to participate in this temporary autonomous zone, leave a public comment below (anonymous or not, you decide) to interact with others who have found the site. When this site goes, they will all be deleted along with it.

If you find the idea interesting, I ask that you please share this site with others. However, be mindful that the method you chose to distribute it will have a direct correlation with the project lifetime: by posting the URL directly on the web, Twitter, Facebook, or even in email via GMail, you may influence its discovery by Google and hence its subsequent demise. This is why I have initially chosen to tell people about it via purely physical means in the real world. Consider your own means of sharing accordingly — there is no right answer, it’s all part of the experiment. (I also make no attempt to prevent you from archiving this site, however please note that your decisions to do so or not is part of what I am exploring here.)

I count 18 posts. the last one, someone linked their blog, guess that was what goofed it up.

No, I mean, I get it. I just don’t get it.

1 Like