An overworked US postal worker shares what life is like delivering Amazon packages

Ugh. Fuck that noise.

ETA: Sure, you should be able to have a day off but why should it be Sunday and why should it be the same day for everyone? Bars and restaurants are usually closed one day a week but they aren’t all closed on Sunday.

5 Likes

As a CCA, I would work 6 days a week all year long, including 100 degree weather and -20 degree weather. Is this guy for real? I could carry 2 routes a day and still get to the office by 5pm (my office has 70 city routes). Know why? Because I wasn’t a POS that complained about doing my job and making good money doing it. Let’s be real: where else are you going to make the money you do at USPS without having a college education?

I’ve also done rural, and it’s a complete joke. Casing is annoying, but I could still do it way under evaluated time. I just hate people like this that claim the post office is mistreating it’s employees and management is evil.

I hate reports like this because you’re obviously talking with someone that isn’t fit to do the job and all they want to so is complain.

1 Like

CCAs and RCAs all start at around $17 regardless of where in the country they are, and there is no pension. Only regular carriers have any sort of retirement. The carrier assistants have no guaranteed hours, so one week they may have 10 hours while the next they have 70. The compensation cops and other first responders receive has no bearing and is wholly unrelated to what a postal worker receives.

4 Likes

I worked for the post office for 16 years as a highway contractor. The stories I could tell. The happiest day of my life was when I let my final contract go.
When I first started working for the post office I had zero training. I was showed the route by the post master and all he said was “here it is”. They would not answer questions. As a matter of fact they made side bets to see how long we would last. We were called “poor white trailer trash”. I finally won respect of one of the supervisors. I later took 5% decrease in my pay because of the postal financial problems twice. I used my own vehicle and was responsible for my own repairs. I had zero benefits. When we started picking up and dropping up Ebay or Amazon… received no extra compensation. I worked on sundays, holidays, late nights… no extra compensation. We were the best bang for the buck because we were as reliable, dependable, customer service was our top priority. For not nearly the pay of a regular city carrier. I do believe that part of the post office should be privatized. Especially rural or smaller towns. No prevailing wage either.

2 Likes

I live in a rural area and 99% of my Amazon packages come via UPS, and if they come USPS I never get them on Sunday. Is it possible individual Post Offices (or Postmasters) decide whether they will be Amazon’s lacky?

Isn’t this sort of thing the whole point of being unionized?

3 Likes

Yeah I hate AL. Their only saving grace is they’ve provided me with months of free prime. Every time an Amazon package is late or delayed it’s AL. I always immediately (after promised delivery by deadline) hit up amazon customer service on chat and have them extend my prime a month when a package is late.

My only complaint with USPS on Amazon delivery actually came from when FedEx uses them as the final leg. I had a couple of big heavy garage storage lifts delivered. They were terribly abused and missing pieces. I complained to the USPS guy who delivered them and he just shrugged his shoulders and said tough. I expect they were damaged by FedEx and USPS doesn’t have the option of refusing them. They went back to Amazon and I ordered them from HomeDepot with much better results.

your shop steward was falling down on the job, most of what you relate were easily grieveable. my wife’s union steward fought tooth and nail over every route adjustment that took a route below a 43k unless the carrier had signed off to the cut.

all postal employees pay into and receive social security. in the office here rcas and ccas get worked to death rather than deprived of hours but every post office is a little different.

4 Likes

You’ve got that exactly backwards. A defined benefit plan is a promise about the future that requires trust in your employer. Maybe they’ll fund that promise, maybe they won’t. Only time will tell for sure. A defined contribution plan is money in the bank right now that no one can take away from you ever.

1 Like

Try taking the letter carriers exam and see how you do. I got an 85 (doesn’t make the cut) on it and yet have 3 college degrees. If you think your memory is good, this is a sure fire way to find out.

Exactly I’m seeing too many complainers I’ve been a CCA for just over 2 years now and one thing that irritates me is when people really complain about the job everyday. If you do t like it then leave don’t make everyone else’s day miserable just because you are. Btw I’ve learned Rural carriers are the biggest complainers.

1 Like

When I went to training after the test they told us that the biggest thing they look at from the test is the memorization part and if you don’t do good on that then you probably won’t be excepted.

Wow your city must have baby routes. Were I live each route you come in at 8am takes about an hour to an hour and a half to case and about 7 hours to deliver the route. I’m quicker at my job than most people around here but there is no way you will finish 2 eight hour routes by 5pm

2 Likes

Every package I’ve gotten through Fedex with USPS as the last leg for the last 2 years has gone missing. Amazon or not. Every UPS package I’ve been involved with is “accidentally routed to the wrong sort center/post office”. Last couple of times it was a facility in western Canada. I am something like 4000 miles from there. Most recently it dead ended in a post office 45 miles and a county away.

2 Likes

And the items you have to memorize on the test are NOT bunny questions. I’ve been taking tests in grad schools for years, and I was almost lost with that test. One may pride themselves on their memory, but until you take this bear of a test you just don’t know the reality.

2 Likes

Nobody needs ice cream, either. What you prefer is your own business.

1 Like

What is it about this topic that brings all the brand-new users running? Couldn’t have something to do with a certain person who has a beef with Amazon, could it? Or are we just passionate about small parcel delivery?

7 Likes

When I retired after 30 years I was still a PTF and worked Sundays and holiday. Working on Sunday does last forever!!

Actually, it’s the first I’ve heard of this issue, so it peaked my interest. I’m also a rural small business owner, and Amazon has saved my butt on surprise rush orders.

2 Likes

In 2012, approximately 1 in every 20 postal workers was injured on the job. And those are just the reported injuries. The job is not that low risk. Here’s a GAO report on the topic, if you’re interested:

Approximately 1 in every 25 police/sheriff’s deputies are injured in the line of duty each year.

However, postal worker deaths are comparatively low for the number of injuries–fewer than 20 in 2013. 137 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2017.