An unknown force is pulling the Milky Way towards it at 14 million mph

[Permalink]

10 bucks says it’s Cthulhu.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just a big one of these:

3 Likes

More like Azathoth.

2 Likes

Fucking universe magnets, how do they work?

15 Likes

God’s love?

3 Likes

Might it not merely be the expansion? It’s probably just caused by the shape of the universe.

Hopefully Pip and Flynx can save us from this!

Its a thought, but generally expansion is believed to push things away and not attract them. But that assumes an even, flat spacetime which (I think) is still a hypothesis.

I for one believe it is a Collapsing Hrung.

The Great Kirby opens his maw and pulls us toward Him, and once we have been ingested into his belly, we shall become the embodiment of Him and He shall be us, and have the power of us, until the time when He decides to swallow us whole or be it his greater judgement, to spew us forth so that he may devour some other universe. Like the one with the sword, or the fiery one.

1 Like

I always guessed that this was because pushing from a point of origin is easier to explain than than 3D attraction, which implies higher dimensionality. Pushing and pulling could be the same thing.

1 Like

I thought this had been largely explained by Malmquist Bias? http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March03/Teerikorpi/Teerikorpi7.html

1 Like

Yes! It’s working!

8 Likes

I’ve said it for years. The universe sucks.

4 Likes

It’s not really believed that there’s some mysterious entity there pulling us towards it. The flow of galaxy clusters at the largest scales known is very beautifully illustrated in a series of videos from the Cosmic Flows project. There’s this one:

and this one, for starters:

http://irfu.cea.fr/cosmography

11 Likes

If there is anything that can literally boggle the mind, its that.

Oh no, RUUUUUUUN!!!

Heh, so not only are we on the unfashionable west end of the galaxy, but we are on the edge of our super cluster. Can’t Sol ever catch a break?

1 Like

It all depends who you ask, I’m sure.

We have been proven wrong in the past about whether black holes exits as well as what their upper size limit is. Why do we now think we “know” this cannot be a black hole? One would think that this observation of scientific hubris and an abundance of evidence that no current model is complete, we could finally realize that excluding a possibility based on an incomplete understanding of a thing is poor science.