An upbeat Ukrainian refugee credits his survival to marijuana and encourages legalization as he flees the war zone

Originally published at: An upbeat Ukrainian refugee credits his survival to marijuana and encourages legalization as he flees the war zone | Boing Boing

2 Likes

It’s good to feel anxiety in a war zone. Feeling upbeat and relaxed in a war zone seems like what you don’t want to feel. We have anxiety to keep us alive, just like we have hunger and other negative feelings which are necessary. Don’t get chilled out when you need to save your own life or the lives of others. Get chilled out when shells are not landing on your city.

3 Likes

The stock photo is by a Ukrainian photographer.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I hate seeing reporters not listening to the people they’re interviewing.

3 Likes

Dude’s a freaking refugee. Maybe save the judgement for the instigators and leave the victims to handle self-care as they see fit.

“They’re stressed, so let me persist in the thing that’s stressing them out so I can ask them if they’re “ok”.”

War reporting is obviously critical and really helps build empathy, but a lot of them just seem like ambulance chasers.

4 Likes

He seems pleased not to be there.

1 Like

Well, mister Ukrainian, if you decide to take the Mexico route to the USA, give me a shout. I’ve got something to cure your ills.

hooking you up with the old bbc three GIF by BBC

4 Likes

I might be misjudging the tone of your reply, but to be clear, I was judging the reporter, not the freaking refugee who actually wasn’t doing much freaking.

It just seemed to me that she wasn’t listening to him and seemed to think he brought pot up just to be a pothead on TV. In other words, it seemed like she dismissed his answer because cannabis.

3 Likes

It’s not immediately apparent because I included your quote after my initial response, but I was responding to @Fefelo, not you. Your comment was spot-on. Apologies for the confusion.

ETA: I often reply/quote multiple comments in one to avoid plastering a thread with too many unique posts.

3 Likes

“Blaze it” would be inappropiate in this context, would it?

Phew. I was worried this was going to be a video of a stoned refugee looking around and suddenly realizing he’s actually still in Ukraine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.