An update from Chelsea Manning's support team on her ongoing incarceration

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/29/an-update-from-chelsea-manning.html

5 Likes

Stay strong, we know you’re alive, regime change is coming.

5 Likes

Must have a low bandwidth account, they’re both working now. Maybe got hit by too many requests at once.

1 Like

There can be no justifiable reason for solitary in this case. She’s no longer imprisoned with men - which gave a veneer of credibility when she was convicted and imprisoned previously.

Also - when is this grand jury impaneled for? Shouldn’t this end when that Jury ends?

3 Likes

To be clear: Chelsea has not been charged with, let alone convicted of a crime, but she can be imprisoned for up to 18 months, until either the term of the grand jury expires, or she agrees to cooperate with their investigation.

Does anyone know why she can’t just go to the grand jury and refuse to answer any questions? I can’t imagine that this is what the framers had in mind when they defined the rules of Habeas Corpus and a speedy trial…

Chelsea Manning “imprisoned for months, effectively in solitary” is rubbish. After 28 days in administrative segregation as a new detainee, she has been in general population since April 2019.

Does anyone know why she can’t just go to the grand jury and refuse to answer any questions?

IANAL, & I am not in touch with Chelsea Manning’s team. But my understanding is, she can only invoke the Fifth Amendment to avoid incriminating herself. Chelsea Manning is equally concerned about implicating others. Grand Juries are notorious for pressuring small fish to give up bigger fish, thus sowing divisiveness & paranoia within a group. They can ask any questions they want, about anyone or anything. And the witness has no lawyer present in the room to protect or advise her.

2 Likes

Hi Vic. Have you got a citation for that claim?

1 Like

The petition is about coercive confinement (locking up an innocent person to make them do or say something), not about whether or not CM can be held in solitary. Please, let’s not get distracted.

1 Like

SeanHyde-Moyer, will Twitter do? Here’s a link to a tweet from Chelsea Manning’s verified account. [https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1113887170652192769]

1 Like

Bio: “Sorting fact from fiction in the perennial melodrama of Chelsea Manning, who always finds a reason to be sent to jail.”

Stay classy, fake n’ grassy.

3 Likes

Ayup. Much obliged.

1 Like

Is there no limit to how many times the government can keep encarcerating someone for refusing to testify about the same thing? What a massive loophole, they can just keep creating cases against Assange or anyone else involved and simply ask Manning to testify and keep doing it over and over ad nauseam.

1 Like

The US government has been openly and indefinitely imprisoning people without charge for nearly two decades now.

I don’t think legal niceties are of that much relevance anymore.

2 Likes

I am a U.S. citizen and I was detained as a federal prisoner without charges for 5 months. I was not arraigned, didn’t have a bail hearing, no Speedy Trial Notice, no charging document, no grand jury, no public defender. Non government lawyers filed motions accusing me of engaging in pro se civil litigation against the orders of former federal judge Edward “Naughty” Nottingham. I don’t have a criminal record. This was extortion. The judge said he would release me if and when I filed motions to dismiss cases in other courts, in other states. I was not under subpoena. The United States Marshals Service entered a nonexistent felony charge into the NCIC and sent a fax to the sheriff saying I was under a felony charge. You can look me up on PACER and you will see I was never a defendant in federal court-- never charged and never sued.

While we’re on the topic of political prisoners:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.