Chelsea Manning is being held in prolonged solitary confinement, a form of torture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/24/chelsea-resists-2.html

13 Likes

What a time we live in, when a person like Chelsea Manning, who has been nothing but an embodiment of the principles the United States is hawking as its core values, is made an example of repeatedly while weak minded literal criminals, sexual predators and enemies of freedom rule every important aspect of the country.

35 Likes

I don’t think any of these people held for contempt for refusing to testify were held in solitary confinement.

What makes Chelsea different?

Ah - gotta pay that tax for being trans. She’s no more of a risk than these people- so what possible rationale is there?

28 Likes

The media, including otherwise centrist or slightly left leaning media like CNN, continues to portray her as a traitor. Being trans probably is drawing even harsher treatment, but she is primarily being punished for being a traitor (which she isn’t, and even if she were, Obama commuted her sentence for that). She isn’t being punished for refusing to testify before a grand jury, regardless of what they say. She’s being punished because the government has branded her a traitor, and they were pissed when Obama commuted her sentence.

16 Likes

A society where dissidents must live in fear of being arbitrarily jailed without trial is not a free society. Free Chelsea Manning and all political prisoners.

19 Likes

This is what I was going to write but would be no where as clear and precise.

So yeah what he/she said!

2 Likes

Being held for refusing to testify is a civil matter- the judge may charge her with criminal contempt after she’s released (max time 18 months?) - that’s where punishment might come into play.

Jumping to punishment now violates due process.

17 Likes

“Land of the Free” /s

If she has an opportunity to leave the US she should seek asylum somewhere else. International law and european courts see prolonged solitary confinement as torture. Fleeing from torture is a legitimate reason to be recognized as refugee and/or asylum seeker.

10 Likes

Wtf… he did the right thing. When i did it at opencola, they gave me a raise.

2 Likes

Again.

Fuck this shit.

13 Likes

If you mean Manning, the correct pronoun is “she”.

21 Likes

You beat me to it.

Misgendering isn’t ‘okay.’

12 Likes

Good call. My apologies. I am in the er w a bone fracture

3 Likes

Get better soon. ER is not a fun place to hang out.

Hope it didn’t come across too accusatory. Unfortunately, there are too many out there who would do it on purpose.

14 Likes

Not at all good reminder…

I work in comp sec, so interested in this article, also also done cia work. He should be out today. Never should have been imprisoned

1 Like

You just did it again.

Once is accidental. Again, in acknowledging the reminder…

16 Likes

That’s the kind of mistake that will blow your cover when working for the cia.

13 Likes

I dont anymore, so i drop that line to ferret out any spies

2 Likes

This isn’t criminal contempt. She is refusing to answer a grand jury subpoena and is being held until such time as she chooses to comply. “I don’t want to” is unfortunately not a legally
sufficient reason for not testifying.

3 Likes

https://www.justice.gov/jm/criminal-resource-manual-780-direct-contempt-witnesss-refusal-obey-court-order-testify-trial

3 Likes