Anal oxygen administration may be life-safer

Originally published at: Anal oxygen administration may be life-safer | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This is a strong nomination for this year’s Ignoble Prize.

39 Likes

Something something … blowing smoke up your arse…

And something something else … don’t light your farts…

26 Likes

Now in the BoingBoing store!

47 Likes

I wonder if, instead of abrasion of the intestinal mucosa, they could use something similar to peritoneal dialysis, create a dwell of the oxygenated perfluorochemicals inside the peritoneal cavity using an implanted catheter. If it works to clean the blood (dialysis) then there is also access for the blood to react with the perfluorochemicals to take up the oxygen. Any MD’s (especially nephrologists) out there with an opinion?

1 Like

Reminds me of the pill Professor Farnsworth developed to allow Fry to survive the ocean depths.

27 Likes

Ummm, wow? That’s certainly different… Not sure where to go with this, I think I will leave it be.

12 Likes

so … it’s just torturing animals for shits and giggles then

7 Likes

I’m damn sure not calling a band Anal Intubator.

19 Likes

Well, if someone’s breath is too bad to perform CPR…

10 Likes

Dude, mouth-to-anus resuscitation is never going to be a thing!

18 Likes

Thanks for the idea, turtle buddies!

22 Likes

Reading about this the other day, I was reminded of an early European attempt to resuscitate drowning victims by pumping air up their rectums. It was almost not entirely wrong, as it turns out - granted, the air was largely a medium to transport tobacco smoke, and the oxygen needs to be suspended in liquid rather than as part of a gas mixture, but(t)…

In the European tradition, it was used to try to revive drowning victims, before mouth-to-mouth was invented.

18 Likes
9 Likes

Wait - I thought we were supposed to make fun of the 18th century doctors for this…

13 Likes

liquid-breathing

25 Likes
11 Likes

First thing I thought of - the scene with the rat. Just looked through IMDB on this, and seems like The Abyss was not the greatest film to work on - Cameron (and others) nearly didn’t survive it:

11 Likes

No. Nope. No noppity nope NEVER go there ever never ever.

HuCen

8 Likes
8 Likes