Ancient IBM mainframe rescued from abandoned building

"Dear Gentlemen

IBM thanks you for your efforts in removing our System 360 and 370 machines and associated peripherals that were located at Drumpfstrasse 77 in Nürnberg, Germany. We sent a team from some management consulants-or-other to manage this project back in the 80s; they came back with blank looks, but nevertheless cradling a rather weighty c. 100-page cost estimate. We never saw them again. Probably on the board of Accenture by now.

Please can you advise us of the location of your storage units so that we can collect said tin.

Of course, as we’re really good guys, if you were interested in taking over the lease for the equipment this is possible. The monthly hardware leasing charge would be €10,000.00 (+VAT), with a quarterly software leasing fee of €7,500.00 (+VAT). Please let us know if you would like to proceed on this basis. It’ll save us a trip to Germany, which is a bummer as we love Schnitzel, but would probably save time for all of us in the long run.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely.

Otis Q Scuttlebutt III
Manager, Operations - Legacy Mainframe Systems

p.s. please can we have our field engineering manuals back toot-sweet? Darlene’s been looking for those for years."

It’ll 'appen. Just wait and see…

4 Likes

In the magazines, yes.

It really usually ends with the owner’s divorce and/or bankruptcy or with the car mouldering in another barn/industrial building until the next enthusiast turns up…

4 Likes
1 Like

A quick trip to Bauhaus, Germany’s finest DIY store, and they were ready for action.

What?!?! Sacrilege!

1 Like

Nah, at the moment Bauhaus is the go-to.
OBI kinda lost the plot a couple of years ago and is starting to look like “20%-auf-alles-außer-Tiernahrung” Praktiker, and we know how that turned out.

2 Likes

I think he’s still doing them a favour.

I first learned to program on an IBM 360/70. It was…temperamental.

Coincidentally, today my local newspaper ran the following photo:

This is a CDC machine from maybe 5 years after the IBM 360/20 in this thread.

4 Likes

So the auction advertised a “Puma IBM 2020” and it ended up being an IBM 360? The buyers should have asked Ebay for a refund, reported the seller as a scammer, and kept the computer anyway.

The processing unit of a IBM/360 model 20 is known as a 2020. see here. It would typically be accompanied by other peripherals, such as the card reader

or the IBM 2401 magnetic tape unit.

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2401.html

each was the size of a washing machine, or refrigerator. They were all connected together using cables under the floor.

On the blue cabinet, below the console, there is a badge reading IBM 2020,

1 Like

@Adam_Bradley
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/model20/

A whole series of IBM 360 model 20 manuals.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.