Animal Rights group offers reward to find person who put "Trump 2020" sticker on a bear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/04/animal-rights-group-offers-rew.html

8 Likes

With any luck Karma got him.

(“Karma” being the name of this particular bear.)

23 Likes

tracking color

Must be 2-for-1 day.

3 Likes

they can’t even spell “colour”… savages.

10 Likes

If they are drugging the bear specifically to put the sticker on the caller, then they shouldn’t be doing that. But just putting a sticker on the collar - I don’t see why that is a huge problem. I doubt the bear cares about it. The bear may not appreciate the collar, but I seriously doubt it cares one way or the other about the sticker.

10 Likes

Are they worried that it will start digging around for food in a dumpster that’s on fire?

16 Likes

If it was put there by someone who added the collar, they should be fired.

If somehow it was put there by someone else:

20 Likes

Clearly it’s the Russians.

14 Likes

I do hope they find the person and prosecute them, if possible. However… “… either in the study or in the public…” is pretty ah… everyone. Right? So yeah, it’s one of those two.

6 Likes

Is Trump so desperate that he intends to give voting rights to bears in the hope of scraping together enough votes?

7 Likes

Someone needs to remind him: “It’s keep and bear ARMS, Mr. president, not keep and arm BEARS!”

7 Likes

I think we all know who put it there.

21 Likes

It’s the principle of the thing. The collar is justified as a tool within the study because the interference and intrusion on the bear is weighed against some greater good to be had from the acquired data.
Anything outside of that purpose is, well… outside of that.
So if someone within the study is doing this at work, it could very quickly become a very slippery slope towards random abuse.
If someone outside of the study is doing this for shits and giggles, they should either be incarcerated for their own safety, or given a Netflix series.
Either way, they need to be identified.

9 Likes

6 Likes

The real story here is that apparently some Trump supporter out there is dumb enough to screw around with bears. That’s not going to end well for them. Tracking collar == wild bear, and they’re apex predators.

3 Likes

Unfortunately offering the reward just draws more attention to the sticker. If someone involved in the study did it they may get caught, but if not then probably nobody will get caught.

I can envision a weird situation where whoever is putting on the collars is using the Trump stickers for an alternative purpose, like marking collars after they’ve been repaired, or in need of upgrade, and they just happened to have those stickers around, figuring nobody but others in the study would ever see them.

2 Likes

This was as “cruel and heartless” as putting a Kick Me sign on the bear.

6 Likes

That would be my bet.

It seems like they’d have to tranq the bear if that were so. Given that they probably didn’t know what they were doing in terms of tranquilizer and dosage, it’s just putting the bear’s life and health at risk.

Either way they’re a colossal asshole, but we already knew that from the content of the sticker. :unamused:

5 Likes

Most likely, yes. Unless someone out there is sneaking up on say a sleeping bear and slapping a sticker on it. In a counting coup sort of scenario.

My money is on the person who attached the collar.

ETA

If we are to believe stereotypes, they would pass that bear up, as he is “one of us”.

3 Likes

Just wait to identify them from what’s left, either from dental records or DNA. Problem solved

1 Like