Animated version of the 'Star Wars Episode 9' that could have been

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/03/animated-version-of-the-star-w.html

3 Likes

Animated version of the ‘Star Wars Episode 9’ that could should have been.

IMO, YMMV

3 Likes

The only fix for these misbegotten sequels is to declare them fanfiction, then start over again with decent scripts and competent directors (who don’t hate Star Wars).

1 Like

This animated version show just how much better it would have been…

Very slightly.

1 Like

Man, that looked pretty good for the first couple minutes.

And then I suddenly remembered I stopped caring about any of this, like, 8 movies ago.

6 Likes

“This animated version show just how much better it would have been…”
HIghly, HIIIIGHLY debatable.

2 Likes

I agree, the whole espionage opening sounded great. Some down and dirty sci-fi shenanigans (a bit like the start to “Rogue One”) is right down my dark, litter strewn alley. The whole ending with Kylo suddenly switching on a dime and saving Rey sounds really rubbish. It throws away a good antagonist, and removes all agency from the protagonist.

However, I’m no longer a teenager (like I was when the first three films came out); so I guess I’m not the target audience.

1 Like

Many TROS story decisions didn’t resonate with this long-time fan but this script is arguably more problematic!
Nice vid though.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed the sequels (there, now you can search for this when you decide to ignore all my other recommendations), but it’s nice to see alternative options like this as well. The best think about Star Wars, IMHO, is how vast and diverse the universe is, which allows for so many directions for the story to go.

See also: Clone Wars, Rebels for examples of additional stories that utterly transformed the prequels for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.