Trailer for Star Wars: The Whole Damn Thing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/27/trailer-for-star-wars-the-who.html

8 Likes

Now, if only the series was as good as this trailer makes it look.

4, maybe 6 hours of watchable content out of 20 hours is not too good of a ratio.

4 Likes

Man I can’t wait for Episode IX! I can’t wait to see all the ways the director will be oh-so-clever and subvert our expectations in the most subtle of ways. Maybe they could let us know that Lando is dead from an offscreen boating accident in a line of tossed off dialogue? Or maybe Leia could realize that the real Death Star was the friends we made along the way?

The cycle of “that was pretty good, I guess…it could have been worse, I suppose, and there wasn’t anything terrible about it…that really wasn’t all that much fun to watch, was it?..they really made some dumb choices in that, huh?..oh, no thanks, I don’t really have any desire to watch it again” is a hell of a toboggan ride.

5 Likes

Even the five minute trailer has more of the prequels than one really needs to see.

5 Likes

tumblr_m460uf8cvO1r1d8fxo1_540

13 Likes

Thankfully no jar jar, pod racers, or pretty much almost anything from ep1 though.

4 Likes

so good. Topher needs to be considered to work on a star wars movie in some capacity.

3 Likes

Man, I can’t wait for all the oh-so-clever internet commenters and their unique and interesting hot takes! I won’t even have to wait until the movie even has a full trailer! Eeeee!

8 Likes

All that and no Jar Jar?

8 Likes

Where’d he get the footage of Biggs and Luke on Tatooine? I’ve always thought that THAT should’ve been what Lucas put back into the '97 Special Edition, instead of CG Jabba. It makes the battle of Yavin much more poignant.

11 Likes

this but lasting for about a month or 2 after seeing Episode 1
6 Likes

Is it really a hot take that the last few Star Wars movies* aren’t exactly great? YMMV, of course, but I don’t think it’s all that unusual to feel that the last movie made frustrating choices and doesn’t really hold up well upon reflection. For me, it just seemed smaller and shabbier than the previous movies, and the character arcs didn’t make a lot of sense.

But you do you, man! If you liked them and/or thought they were good, mazel tov. I wanted very much to like these new movies, and would much rather enjoy the last one than feel disappointed again, but fool me once and all that.

*Rogue One being the notable exception for me, anyway

1 Like

??? what do you mean “where he get it”?

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+wars+a+new+hope+deleted+scene&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=vid

7 Likes

Apologies for being unaware that this footage had ever been released. I hope I can make it up to you one day!

6 Likes

I was just genuinely surprised, especially as you were obviously aware of the fact that the scene exists :wink:

3 Likes

I had seen stills from it growing up, and had heard an isolated dialogue track, but had never seen the actual footage, weirdly – I just assumed it had never been put out there. Thanks for the clip, there’s some great material here!

4 Likes

giphy%20(19)

5 Likes

There are ways to say that the Star Wars movies weren’t great without writing an entire paragraph sarcastically mocking them and people who liked them. You did not choose one of those ways. You chose the way of the take that is hot, while you were doing you. High five.

6 Likes

Any inference that I was mocking the people who enjoy them is on you, friend. If you like them, good for you, and you’re far from alone in that sentiment. Alas, however, I didn’t think VII and VIII were very good movies for the reasons I mentioned above, and I’m also far from alone in that sentiment. But who knows? Maybe in 50 years these will be regarded as masterpieces that doofuses like me didn’t appreciate at the time, like the Wizard of Oz or Battlefield Earth. In the meantime, I suspect that the multi-billion dollar Star Wars franchise can probably survive a little mild criticism from little old me.

3 Likes

Cool. Not sure what I expected from someone who uses the phrase “you do you.”

1 Like