Anita Sarkeesian in Time's Top 100 most influential

Getting emotional is like the accelerator or maybe high gear on a car. Floor it when you’re steering, and you’re not going to turn the way you should. When the road ahead is straight and clear, though, it helps you get where you’re going.

People like to criticize getting emotional, but I’ve never seen anything to convince the world is a better place when people stay dispassionate about abuse or injustice. Quite the contrary; progress works best when people are rational about it, but still most if not all seems to have come about because of people who were emotional about it too.

Well, marilove will know, but I think maybe this was a typo for pervasive? I agree that it isn’t persuasive to anybody who isn’t already inclined toward such things, but then it sure acted as a rallying point for many people who were, so I guess you could look at it either way.

Except we’ve been through this in detail; the paranoid harassers didn’t just dominate it but started it, and while they repeated a call for ethics in reporting, there was essentially no concern over instances of collusion except the supposed ones involving people like Quinn. Heck, the scandal that the reactionary movement grew around was one invented for the purpose.

The broader movement you are supposing of people simply against collusion was often claimed, but by all evidence seems never to have been an important part of gamergate. The death threats and harassment were always central to it, so much so that nobody could align with them without being able to at least overlook such hate.

I understand you’re trying to be inclusive, but it really is considered a hate group for very good reason. You can only cast it otherwise by closing your eyes to what was actually happening and what hate groups are like.

I’ve heard of that one. It’s as Mindysan33 said: an incident where a woman felt somewhat threatened by having a guy ask her out in a confined space early in the morning, reasonably politely advised people not do that…and guys reacted by making it a “gate” because nobody tells them what to do, and apparently any hint of that is the SJW brigade trying to ruin the world for men.

In making it sound as if Watson had been the one overreacting, you are closing your eyes to all the details of what was really going on. Cui bono?

4 Likes