Anne Dagg, pioneering giraffe biologist and feminist critic of "evolutionary psychology" receives the Order of Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/02/love-of-shopping-not-a-gene.html

4 Likes

Batten down the hatches.

20 Likes

Uh oh, those are summoning words, aren’t they? Should we expect lots of BoingBoing welcoming?

22 Likes

I’ll warm up the wagon if you’ll make sure the door hits them on the way out.

19 Likes

This good news balances out that Stephen Harper got one too.

The latest code phrase for scientific racism is “Human biodiversity”.

10 Likes

I think they basically just give them out to Prime Ministers automatically. I mean, even Kim Campbell got it.

I just watched Michelle Wolf’s most recent standup special and Wolf said something interesting that’s very relevant here. When talking about one animal raping another animal, Wolf pointed out we should be careful about the use of the word “rape”, since consent simply doesn’t exist in the animal world. Of course it was all in the context of jokes, but it contains a big problem with looking to nature to explain or justify rape. The reason an animal doesn’t get consent before having sex with another animal is that they don’t have the concept of consent.* Humans do, so you can’t get off the hook or excuse yourself by pointing out ancestors with a brain that looks like a brain-stem to us didn’t understand it.

* Of course basically any time anyone says “animals don’t do X” they are wrong. I’d hardly be surprised to find out that some animals actually do have some consent-like concept and punish those in their societies for breaking those rules. But if those animals do exist they’ll be primates, canines, or some other large mammal, not lobsters.

15 Likes

Prepare not only for Jordaddy acolytes, but also MRAs and other sealion misogynists from the manosphere sector of the alt-right. They love their evo-psych just-so stories to excuse their rotten behaviour.

19 Likes

Dagg sounds awesome… but then you went and ruined the post by even mentioning JorDaddy in the same breath, knowing full well how fanatical and annoying his fanboys are about their ‘messiah.’

12 Likes

I think JP’s pan has already flashed and the lobster brigade has pretty much retired back to their mother sea’s basement. But its a worthwhile experiment to find out I suppose

3 Likes

Finally, a post starting with someone’s name and job description that doesn’t end with “died last night.”

Good for her!

12 Likes

Good. Anyone who stands up for scientific rigour, and points out loudly when people are making false or unfalsifiable claims disguised as scholarship- they deserve all the awards we can give.

I am thoroughly fed up with unfalsifiable nonsense being held up as the received truth, and Evo-psych is one of many fields that contains notable offenders on that score.

17 Likes

That’s a pretty nice accomplishment, but I was still hoping “pioneering giraffe biologist” would refer to the first giraffe to earn a doctorate in the biological sciences.

20 Likes

Somebody needs to start a weird evopsych cult based on hyenas. Not only are females dominant, but their penises are bigger.

It’s only fair, and it balances out all that lobster nonsense. Only it uses an actual mammal instead of a disgusting alien water bug.

There’s an innuendo I’ve never heard before.

14 Likes

Surprised it doesn’t happen more often, just to drive up page views. I doubt Cory cares at all what happens back here.

7 Likes

Why biological sciences? Why not the arts? Must we always push giraffes towards STEM?

11 Likes

Female hyenas have penises??

7 Likes

The Order of Canada is a participation trophy for former PMs.

FTFY

6 Likes

Yes they do, and they’re rather large

7 Likes

That’s a weird thing to say.

2 Likes