Another horse dies at Santa Anita, 2-year-old colt is 27th fatality this season

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/another-horse-just-died-at-san.html

Shut it down. End horse racing. It’s animal abuse.

8 Likes

Or shut down the tax breaks for race horse “investment”

These horses are used as tax shelters for the very rich.
They can write off the ‘investment’ if they don’t win…and even write off even more if the investment dies. It’s gambling with a write off if they lose or die.
They can hit the jackpot with a winner and sell sperm or eggs. Or even clones.
But it’s a win/win for the investor. Horse lives it’s a write off/ Horse Dies it’s a write off. Horse wins…it’s a jackpot.

5 Likes

Shut it down. End horse racing. It’s animal abuse.

Then what would Mitch McConnell do on the first Saturday in May?

2 Likes

Fuck horse racing. Fuck anyone, really, who profits off of the suffering of any animal, humans included, for sports.

3 Likes

According to my math, this one track is responsible for roughly 10% of the horse deaths in the sport this year.

This one track. One. Out of the 76 Thoroughbred tracks in the United States, and the 36 Harness racing tracks in the United States, this one track is responsible for 10% of the horse deaths in the United States.

Coming at it from a harm reduction standpoint, this track needs to be scruitinized and made safer for the horses or closed. I bet there are other “hot spots” for horse deaths that need to be scrutinized and repaired or closed as well. There are probably other things that they could do to make the sport safer as well.

Is it more ethical for the horses to exist so they can be run in the race, or to cancel the races so that the horses aren’t born in the first place? Race Horses are typically taken very well care of. They aren’t racing dogs or Rooster combatants. There probably need to be more ethics guidelines in place, but I would hate to think that the entire sport needs eliminated.

1 Like

I once worked on access control for large horse racing events. Once when on site, a horse died during a big race, and management were rushing around making sure that nobody talked about it on the UHF radios, that it was kept as secret as possible.

1 Like

On the other are horse trainers and racetrack owners who find the proposed changes too expensive and intrusive.

I hate it when “journalists” write crap like this. The correct sentence should be:

On the other are horse trainers and racetrack owners who say they find the proposed changes too expensive and intrusive.

No one knows whether they really think the process is expensive and intrusive, or whether they find that the use of drugs on the horses helps them financially, and don’t want those advantages taken away.

1 Like

You could make a better case that greyhounds like racing than that the horses want to do this.

After all, they don’t have to put jockeys on the dogs.

People eat horses

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.