Owner of derby-winning horse blames "cancel culture" after it fails post-race drug test

Originally published at: Owner of derby-winning horse blames "cancel culture" after it fails post-race drug test | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Why yes, it’s gen z’s fault for asking people to treat each other with kindness and empathy and that’s why your trainers had to inject all sorts of chemicals into your horses.

Party of personal responsibility my ass.

61 Likes

every time i think i’ve seen peak whining about “cancel culture” something even more performatively silly turns up. my standard response to my “fox news” relatives when they start nattering about “cancel culture” is to agree with them and then start talking about the cancelling of colin kaepernick. the conversation tends to end pretty soon after that.

62 Likes

Once again, the right turns a phrase with actual meaning into an expletive to shout when they don’t get their way.

48 Likes

It’s always opposite day in MAGAlandia!

15 Likes

Not only does he cheat, but worse than that, he’s not very good at it.

42 Likes

6 Likes

“We live in a different world now. This America’s different.”

MAHDA: Make America Horse Drugs Again

17 Likes

I mean, not that he’s right, but consequence culture is a more apt name for it.

And yes, from his point of view, it probably does appear like it’s come out of nowhere that cheating in horse racing is no longer being allowed like it once was. And the cruelty which definitely remains in horse racing is still going on , but even THAT isn’t allowed as much as it was, and hopefully they eliminate that too. (Even though, in reality, it likely means the end of horse racing or animal racing in general.)

So what he means is that they can’t drug up or wound their horses or mistreat them anymore. They actually have to humanely act, or they’ll get called out for it. Consequence culture.

Horse racing is barbaric and people that participate in it in any way are cruel.

19 Likes

Right wing funtimes!

2 Likes

Not the first horse whose career was destroyed by substance abuse.

29 Likes

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I thought this was a America! Now horses can’t even do a little 'roids with out it being a big fucking deal??!!”

10 Likes

It is the more accurate name, but the concept of consequences for one’s own bad behaviour is an alien one to an ultra-wealthy white cis-het Americn male of this age.

21 Likes

“We live in a different world now. This America’s different. That’s not the America I want to live in - in the America the founding fathers intended, you can jack your horse up on steroids and then pump it full of meth before a race, like God intended.”

13 Likes

Baffert is the trainer. He’s the one at the center of all the hubbub. The owner is Amr Zedan.

6 Likes

They’ve tightened up the testing, and the other owners are probably trying new cocktails, occasionally getting caught, learning from that, and above all, not crying about it.

This gentleman keeps doing the same old thing, expecting different results, and then accuses horse track owner-operators of being lefty woke Cancel Culture SJWs. Wow. The same people who’s only real concern for horses is that having them spontaneously combust in the middle of the track is probably too obvious.

22 Likes

Clearly he thinks the drug test is tied to political correctness because it’s “post-race”

19 Likes

I often cite The Dixie Chicks as the first case of cancel culture, to similar effect.

23 Likes

Why is horse racing still a thing?

9 Likes

“We live in a different world now. This America’s different.”

Well, he’s not wrong. He now lives in a country where his privileges just don’t go as far as they used to. Must be rough to be startled by your own mediocrity when you’ve been able to take others’ hard work in politely covering it up for you for granted.

7 Likes